Server Config Screen.. Should I edit?

Discussion in 'General' started by beezer1424, Nov 2, 2009.

1. beezer1424

beezer1424 New Member

If I go to System > Server Config> "choose my server" > Server tab

the entries are as follows:

Network configuration not checked (till said that was fine)
    IP Address : the correct address of my server
    Netmask: the correct netmask
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (not my gateway IP but there by default)
    Hostname: the correct hostname of my server
    Nameservers: 192.168.0.1,192.168.0.2 (not my nameservers)

any thoughts

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats fine and does not have to be edited. The automatic network configuration is disabled by default, so these values are not used until you enabbled automatic network configuration and this is supported only on debian.

3. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

What file does this actually change? I found out the hard way that if you change those settings, it breaks webmail and ispconfig loading. I do still have SSH access though.

Looking at this post did not help as my interfaces file has not changed.

What file does server config change that is supposed to have gateway of 192.168.0.1 and nameservers of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2?

Server is configured using Debian Lenny 5.0.6 and ispconfig 3.0.3-rc1 with roundcube and the roundcube interface plugins.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

Fixed

Thanks to Till.
    I actually posted this in a new threadx under Install/Config which was more appropriate and more watched.

For the resolution that worked for me, look at this thread here.

5. Chris Graham

Chris Graham New Member

Hi,

I noticed this myself. I would suggest for usability that it should either try to detect what the system already has, or makes more likely defaults.

From the point of view of a new user, this looks like it just shows existing settings, and you'd save it to tune them. But if the user did so, it would be highly destructive to them (I could even imagine losing server access as a result of wrong settings here).