server crashed, new box, bad ispconfig

Discussion in 'General' started by crypted, Apr 25, 2009.

1. crypted

crypted Member

I used the "Moving ISPConfig" thread to move from a bad harddrive to a new server install. Most things are "functioning" but not all. Email will not let POP3 connect although it is online. User ownership and CHMOD was lost of files and directories.

What must be the username and permissions for mail directories? How do I get mail to work again?

What username should have ownership for /var/spool/mail files?

Currently root owns all directories.

Also, I went to change the password of a username through the Console and ISPCONFIG was complaining when I saved the changes to the password that the "user already exists"

Code:
    Apr 24 23:57:46 its dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<web3_derek>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:99.175.94.180, lip=::ffff:65.110.53.131
    Apr 24 23:57:46 its dovecot: POP3(web3_derek): open(/var/www/web3/mail/inbox, O_CREAT) failed: Permission denied
    Apr 24 23:57:46 its dovecot: POP3(web3_derek): mkdir_parents(/var/www/web3/mail/.imap/INBOX) failed: Permission denied
    Apr 24 23:57:46 its dovecot: POP3(web3_derek): stat() failed with mbox file /var/www/web3/mail/inbox: Permission denied
    Apr 24 23:57:46 its dovecot: POP3(web3_derek): Couldn't init INBOX: Can't sync mailbox: Messages keep getting expunged

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to copy over the files in /var/www from one box to the other with the correct owners and permissions. This can be done e.g. with the command

tar pcfz www.tar.gz /var/www

Then you installed ispconfig after you copied over the users to /etc/passwd which resulted in blacklisting of all old users as ISPConfig can not alter user accounts that were in /etc/passwd before ispconfig was installed for security reasons. You have to whitelist them be removing tthem from the /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/user file.

3. crypted

crypted Member

Ah thanks a lot

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009