Server Hosting Provider

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by planet_fox, Jun 3, 2007.

?

My Server have on

Poll closed Jun 28, 2007.
  1. Hetzner

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. T-Com

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1and1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strato

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. server4you

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. other

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. planet_fox

planet_fox Member HowtoForge Supporter

This week I have search for other servercentre in germany and searching for a better offer on other provider as my provider hetzner. I have anything find. Where have the server on hetzner here ? or have a better Provider

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

It very much depends on what you need :)

3. planet_fox

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'd stay with Hetzner. We have our servers there, too. They are cheap and have short contract periods. And their IP addresses/subnets aren't listed on any spam blacklists. I have a server at Strato, too, and they don't seem to care about spam blacklists. uceprotect.net lists whole /24 subnets in their blacklist if they find that spam is originating from more than two IP addresses of that subnet, so my Strato server got blacklisted as well, even though no spam was sent over it. I told Strato, but they don't seem to care. :(

5. planet_fox

yes I know you have server on hetzner. Service is nice. Friend from have a server at server4you and have any problems. hardware is nice Price to bad vs hetzner.

6. mvardany

mvardany New Member

you can find an interesting review about different hosting providers and their availabilities and uptimes at the following blog http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=325 and based on this make a decision regarding what server/hosting provider to choose.

7. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

hosted on: ipx-server.de

8. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

The first root server I managed for a friend of mine a couple of years ago belonged to 1und1. Service was very bad and as we had to setup a new server anymway (because the old SuSE was not supported anymore) he moved to Strato. This server has been up and running for some years now. Load is pretty low and so it does not hurt, that its hardware has quite some age... This server is due to get a fresh setup (getting rid of an old unsupported SuSE and Confixx) somewhen this year...

At the end of last year I finally had a chance to advice someone to go with Hetzner. I was very pleased with quality and service and when I moved to a new job and we decided not place our customers on shared hosting but instead get a hoster ourselves and move them to our machine, it was clear to me we'd go with Hetzner.

I remember asking 1und1 and Strato once about support for upgrading our server. They declined and advised us to get us another server and move our stuff over manually. With Hetzner it happend pretty soon we were in need of more RAM. We found a appropriate solution by email, chose a date and on that day it took 8 minutes of downtime and our server was upgraded and running again.

It's this kind of service that erases the ideas of moving to another root server hoster because it may be a little bit cheaper.

You get what you pay for ;)

9. planet_fox

Nice, What have cost the upgrade

10. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

We were offered two different solutions for upgrading our DS 3000:

- buy a Flexi-Pack (15 € per month) and pay 8 € per month for +1 GB RAM
    - make a DS 5000 out of it while sticking with the current hard disks

We decided to use the second option, so we're paying for a DS 5000 which is identical to DS 3000 instead of RAM and harddisks. Seemed to be the best solution to us, as it doesn't matter whether we can use 2x160 GB or 2x300 GB HDD.

The upgrade itself didn't cost anything at all.

11. mvardany

mvardany New Member

Ben ipx-server.de is in the top 20 fastest providers by reports of mon.itor.us, so not bad:)

12. mvardany

mvardany New Member

ipx-server.de is in the fastest 20 ISP's if you look at http://mon.itor.us report so not bad choice