server name vs. host name

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mcardo, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mcardo

mcardo New Member

Under ISPConfig management > server > settings What is the difference between server name and host name and how does changing either one affect my server? I didn't want to dig into a DNS book to find out, if the answer is complicated, let me know, then I'll dig into the DNS book at Barn3s and Nobl3

This question arises because by default ISPConfig uses your server name as your host name (e.g. server1), and the default MX record becomes "server1.domain.com" but I created an A record "mail" and changed the MX record to mail.domain.com. Am I ignoring something here?

Thank You!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Example:

Hostname: server1
    Domain: yourdomain.com

3. _X_

_X_ New Member

what are the problems if this is set like:

Hostname: www
    Domain: domain.info

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are no problems. Why should there be any problems?

5. _X_

_X_ New Member

just asking :)

6. happz

happz Member

i think he is asking...

Till, i think he is asking if when we create the perfect server and give the server the name example: server1.domainname.com should we also when installing ispconfig and the question comes during installation about the host name and domain name should we use the same as the names we gave the server?...i think that is what he is asking... :D

7. tmdg

tmdg New Member

I've always found you need to be a bit careful how you configure MX records. May be Postfix of configuration built by ISPConfig don't suffer the problem but I did experience it several times with sendmail.

If your real FQDN is say server1.example.com and is is the mail host for the domains
    somedomain.tdl and anotherdomain.tld then the MX records need to look like this.
    Code:

MX      10   server1.example.com.

if you were to have say
    Code:

MX      10   mail.somedomain.tld.

You may get the problem of :-
    (mail for mail.somedomain.tld loops back to myself)

Regards,
    Tom.

8. mcardo

mcardo New Member

Even having an "A record" "mail" to ip "server ip"?

e.g

host: mail
    to ip:192.168.2.2

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008