Server Rebuild - Import 3.0.5.4p9 settings to 3.1.1p1

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Tastiger, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Tastiger

Tastiger Member HowtoForge Supporter

I did a search and could not see an answer, so sorry if I have doubled up.

It's time for a complete rebuild of my server and I will be moving from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 as a fresh install using the tutorial @
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...l-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/
    Am correct in assuming that there are database changes between the 2 versions of ISPConfig? I did have a play just after 16.04 was released and when I imported the ISPConfig 3 datatabase it was all messed up - so I stuck with 14.04.

In the past I have been able to import the original database and all worked well when I have done rebuilds between versions of Ubuntu. which saved a lot of effort re-entering all the DNS, Sites, Email settings etc.

So is there a way to import my settings to a new install of 3.1.1p1 without breaking it?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

there's a migration tool you could buy (which supports some of the ispconfig developers), or simply upgrade to 3.1.1p1 on your old 14.04 server first, then dump your dbispconfig and load it on your 16.04 box.

3. Tastiger

Thanks for your reply - the migration tool appears to only support migration from one server to another, not a backup scenario and I have issues updating my current build because I have modified Postfix by hardening it and it stops receiving mail if I upgrade.
    Looks like it will be a manual entry of everything then , I may try uploading the database before installing ISPConfig and see if that works.

If so I'll post here in case anyone else has the same issues somewhere down the track.

4. ressel

ressel Member

If it's a vm do a snapshot, then upgrade to 3.1 dump db for backup. Then you can revert to snapshot?

5. Tastiger

No VM's here:(

6. ressel

ressel Member

Then do a backup and restore?
    If possible you could consider clonezilla ?

7. Tastiger

Still working on this one, I have thought about doing the upgrade to ISPConfig, exporting out the database then rolling back to one of my backup images if the new install doesn't work, but still it's a lot of effort and server downtime when I have no guarantee that the exported database will be any good given the issues I have had upgrading ISPConfig.

8. Tastiger

Update - rolled back to non hardened postfix and update worked OK - so something in the hardening process seems to have broken my upgrade.

till likes this.