server speed

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Tom John, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,
    i have customer who complain about the upload speed of the server and as well about the response time of the server.
    I use ISPConfig 3.1 and a VPS from Contabo.
    I dont know if this is a problem of the VPS or the configuration of the server?
    Some of the websites are:
    https://visit360go.com/
    https://mask1000.com/de/
    the load of the server is very low, so i dont think this is the problem. On all the domains on the server there is nearly no traffic, so i dont understand what is the problem.
    Are there tools to check the speed of a website / server regarding respond time etc?
    I dont know where to start actually

thanks a lot for your kind help

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Maximum upload speed possible is the smaller of customers upload speed and server download speed. So it may be customer has slow connection? You should ask that customer if speeds to other sites are significantly better. Also, worth asking is what exactly is that slow speed? Maybe customer has unrealistic expectations?

4. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    thanks for your kind answer.
    the server has 8 GB RAM, SSD, 4 cpu core, it should be fast. Contabo says nothing wrong with the VPS.
    But the problem is that every side takes a long time to respond at the first time i call the website, well thats my feeling, i can not prove it. The CMS is Wordpress
    the average load of the VPS is 0,11
    the load time according to pingdom is: 2,25 seconds and performance grade 88 this seems not too bad from my point of view.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

So the server ahs enough RAM, that's good. All sites on the server are affected or mainly this one website? Does the WordPress website has a cache installed? if not, install one or recommend the customer to install one. WordPress sites can be really slow when they use a lot of plugins (especially if the plugin is not coded that well performance wise). Beside that, you can use the tool 'mysqltuner' to do a check of your mysql/mariadb settings to see if some variables can be adjusted to make the database faster. Then you should try to use a recent PHP version, basically the most recent one that the CMS supports. WordPress should support PHP 7.4, so if you have that version installed as additional PHP version, then choose it for this site. PHP mode should be PHP-FPM.