Server stuck at boot time

Discussion in 'General' started by Svenna, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Svenna

Svenna New Member

I have been away this weekend, and when I returned home, I found that there's been a powerfailure at my house. Apparently the power has been down so long that the UPS didn't cope with it. My ISP server is set up so it will reboot automaticly when power is back on. The problem is now that the server seems to get stuck during the "Checking quotas". I have tried to manually reboot the server, but still it will not go past the quotacheck. Any suggestions on what's wrong?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

How long did you wait for the quota check to be finished?

3. Svenna

Svenna New Member

Well it finally started, but the wait time was at least 15-20 minutes. I have been changing the quota on certain users (me :)) to be able to send and receive large mails. I presume that this is the main reason the quotacheck take such a long time. Or maybe it's something else? Any thoughts?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Maybe there were some file system checks (due to the power failure) that had to be finished before quotacheck could run.

5. Svenna

Svenna New Member

Presumably, but still I find it quite strange. I will try a normal reboot when I get the time, and then see what happens.

6. Svenna

Svenna New Member

Well, I performed a normal reboot today, and everything is back to normal, so Falko, I think you were right. The bad thing though, is because of the power failure, the hard drive is damaged bad. everything works, but the Bios warns me of an imminent disk failure.:mad:

7. jnsc

jnsc rotaredoM Moderator

Of course for a server you have to take care, but at work I had this message on my desktop PC 2 or 3 times, and this was more than 2 years ago. Maybe I am just lucky, but usually I'am not :) , so now I don't trust this messages anymore. But only for a backuped Desktop PC, for a server you have to pay more attention.