Server to manage internet connection

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Mr Brownstone, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Mr Brownstone

Mr Brownstone New Member

Greetings!

I am quite very new to this, and I have a request for some help, I know what I want to be able to do, just not what I need to do it!

I have previously setup a couple FreeNAS servers, and last night followed through with Falko's "The Perfect Server, Ubuntu-Server-10.04" ISPConfig3 using VM VirtualBox. This took me apx 5-6 hours to do and get it working. (I shouldn't have started at midnight!)

This was my first time using VM VirtualBox or anything like it, and first time with Ubuntu. I did this to get my head around it and see how it all works, now that I'm satisfied, I would like to tackle my project.

My goal is to have an Ubuntu Server that can manage our internet connection with the following key points.

- DHCP Server
    - DNS Server
    - Be the internet gateway
    - Manage bandwidth of computers
    - Throttle connection speeds
    - Track bandwidth usage of connected computers
    - Raid-1 Mirror Setup (this I can do hardware based)

I believe I have all the hardware required.

Is there anything I have missed or any key advise that I could use?

Many thanks!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. Mr Brownstone

Mr Brownstone New Member

Hi there Falko,
    The motherboard I have does RAID, but for the purpose of learning, I will go with the LVM Raid-1 setup -I see there is a bit of a difference in how they work which could be to my advantage.

I have learned that essentially I want a Proxy server that Caches the content.

Hopefully during the week I will have a chance to start piecing together the modules that I need and be able to do a VM of it.

I am going to simplify my goal a little now and then build on it stages, I think this will be manageable for myself and a good learning experience.

- Ubuntu 10.04 server install
    - Raid-1 Mirror Setup (LVM)
    - DHCP Server
    - DNS Server
    - Internet gateway
    - Bandwidth tracker
    - Internet Cache
    - Firewall

4. Rapid2214

Rapid2214 New Member

Look into Squid, its a caching proxy, so it will improve page proformance marginly. Also do you have 2 network cards as that will make things much easier. ;)

5. Mr Brownstone

Mr Brownstone New Member

Yes I will be using a 10/100 card facing the internet and a 10/1000 card facing the network.