Set maximum fcgi processes per site/customer/reseller

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ddelbia, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ddelbia

ddelbia Member

Hi, I'm wondering if it will be possibile to set maximum fcgi processes per site/customer/reseller
    Thank you!
    Denis

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This setting has to be 1 if you use fcgi on a apache webserver as apache uses only one fcgi process per apache child. So setting this per client or site does not makes any sense, as this value has to be 1. Settingit to a value > 1 will just use more ram without any benefit, as the other fcgi childs will never be used.

3. ddelbia

ddelbia Member

Ok, thanks Till, I admit I don't know how fcgi works exactly, but I'd like to limit the max simultaneos connections for a site or group of sites and I thinked it should be easy with fcgi.
    Hope you understood my english :)
    Denis

4. till

5. Rupert

Rupert New Member

Hello,

do you mean I have to set FcgidMaxProcesses to 1?
    I have to much fcgid process per site, sometimes 100,
    and its killing my server.

thnx

6. till

Yes, set the number of fcgi processes started by mod_fcgi to 1. The reason is that apache mod_fcgi spawns already one process per apache child so that php does not have to spawn its own childs. If you would spawn more processes, then they will not get used by apache.

For details on the config options, see here:

http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html

7. Rupert

Rupert New Member

So 1 cgi process can handle multiple connections to the site?
    I thought it start 1 process per pageview?
    I have about 100+ Vhosts on that server

8. till

These are fcgi processes and not cgi processes. The difference is that CGI processes are started one per pageview and terminate afterwards while fcgi processes stay in memory and can process multiple pageviews.

That arent that many for a modern server.

9. JeffryL

JeffryL Member

I followed your advice and indeed it's working but I'm still a bit confused since on all other sites I've visited recommended settings are much higher for FcgidMaxProcesses. Is this a difference in setup or are others just being silly (since you answered apache won't take advantage of the spawned php processes?)

Thanks anyway