Set up subdomains in Bind9

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by fgm, Sep 19, 2022.

1. fgm

fgm New Member

Hello.
    As information, I am interested in learning free software, but in a self-taught way. I am not linux expert. I just intend to learn and enjoy what I'm getting.

Some time ago I set up a server with debian 11 on an old laptop, and little by little I built a LAMP server and I also added bind9 to manage internal and external DNS, because I would also like to add SAMBA and CUPS
    To manage my dimanic IP I registered in no-ip with a free account, and it works without problems, but I would like to manage my subdomains internally.

I installed nextcloud and set up a private cloud, where we share photos, videos and documents between the family, on the laptop that I mentioned before. We are only 7 users.
    Now I try to install collabora-office to share documents and modify them online, and for this I have created a virtual host within my domain, but I don't know how the DNS entry is created in bind9
    The domain name is miva.sytes.net, and the subdomain is collabora-miva.sytes.net.

For this I have followed the following installation guide >>>>>>> https:// fscene8.me/ nextcloud-collabora-hpd-installation-guide/

I can't open any file, and I think it's because the subdomain is not available on the internet.
    What I'm trying to do is add an office suite (collabora-office), inside my nextcloud (miva.sytes.net)
    I hope you can help me, and let's see if I understand it

Thank you
    Greeting

2. fgm

fgm New Member

Hello.
    I have not formulated the question in question correctly.
    I have created a virtual host within my domain, but I don't know how to create the record in bind9, to resolve the address of the new host name.
    Thanks.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If you need name service running on your intranet, you can for example set it up using ISPConfig, my signature has link to name service tutorial. Another way is read the book "DNS and Bind", or bind tutorials from somewhere in the Internet.
    If setting up name service with bind is too much work, it is possible to use /etc/hosts files on Linux hosts, Windows workstations have also similar hosts file, where is it stored depends on Windows version.

ahrasis likes this.