Set Up Ubuntu Edgy Eft Netboot - PXE Server - Unable to Connect to Internet

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by DigitalDaiquiri, Dec 23, 2006.

1. DigitalDaiquiri

DigitalDaiquiri New Member

Being relatively new to Linux, and this being my first server experience I ran into a problem on the "Setting Up A PXE Install Server For Multiple Linux Distributions With Ubuntu Edgy Eft" guide on page 2 (http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_pxe_install_server_p2). Everything seemed to be going fine as I followed the steps through the first 3 pages of "The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Edgy Eft)" guide (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.10_p3) as directed by the article. Mind you I have almost no experience with network topology, I'm just beginning to learn about things such as DNS, and DHCP. Not understanding exactly what to do I edited my "/etc/network/interfaces" file to match the one on page 3 step 5 (Configuring the Network) of the 6.10 server guide. I thought everything went smothly (although I didn't edit it to specifically fit my network information but rather used the information in the provided example. This statement is also true in regards to editing my "/etc/hosts" file (I kept the example.com).

I continued on to page 2 of the PXE article and became stuck on step 4, "Set Up Ubuntu Edgy Eft Netboot". For some reason I am unable to download the needed files and am stuck with the following readout "open 'archive.ubuntu.com' [Resolving host address...]. I believe that I'm not getting a connection to the internet for some reason but I'm not sure.

I sincerely appreciate everyones time and help!

Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
    Gigabyte K7 Triton - GA-7S748 Series – AMD Socket A
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    AMD Athalon 2500+ Barton Core Socket A
    128 MB DDR RAM

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What IP addresses do you normally use in your local network? What's your gateway IP address? I guess the network details from the Ubuntu 6.10 guide don't apply to your network.

3. xzaloox

xzaloox New Member

try reset the server . it worked for me..

4. DigitalDaiquiri

ifconfig?

@falko
    After looking on www.google.com/linux and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifconfig I came to the conclusion that the Linux equivalent of Windows NT's "ipconfig" is "ifconfig". After typing "ifconfig" on the command line I received a readout that listed my IP address, mask, etc. I don't know if this tool is just displaying the contents of the "/etc/hosts" file I edited earlier, or if it is instead giving an accurate readout of my network. Is there any other way to go about finding the IP address and Gateway information for my network?

@xzaloox
    By resetting the server are you referring to reinstalling Ubuntu?

- Would other computers/an Xbox360 on my network effect anything?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  5. DigitalDaiquiri

I found a thread concerning the same type of difficulties I'm having with my DNS: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/30054-configuring-dns.html

My "/etc/ resolv.conf" file reads the following:
    Code:
    search [I]my last-name[/I]
    nameserver 192.168.2.1
    nameserver 207.69.188.185
    nameserver 207.69.188.186
    nameserver 207.69.188.187
    and my "/etc/hosts" looks like this:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.1.1    ubuntu-6.10-pxe-install-server.example.com ubuntu-6.10-pxe-install-server

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1    ip6-localhosts ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    If I try to ping google I get the following error:
    Code:
    ping: unknown host google.com
    The thread suggests typing the following command:
    Code:
    dig www.google.com
    To which I receive:
    Code:
    ; <<>> Dig 9.3.2 <<>> www.google.com
    ;; global options;  printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    ...and
    Code:
    ifconfig | grep 'inet addr'
    to which I get the following:
    Code:
    inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    The thread suggested deleting all of the lines from "/etc/resolv.conf" and replacing them with
    Code:
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    This didn't solve the problem so I then followed the suggestion to type
    Code:
    netstat -an | grep ':53'
    This in turn didn't give a readout. (Mind you the thread was written concerning RH9.0, so that might explain the lack of a response from the last command). The thread then recommended service commands such as "service iptables stop" that are not Ubuntu native. I appreciate everyone for their time, and I hope this at least helps to give an idea of what may be going wrong.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What IP addresses do you normally use in your local network? You can run
    Code:
    ipconfig
    on one of your Windows boxes to find out.