setting limit to resources/speed for backups

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by pawan, Sep 10, 2018.

1. pawan

pawan Member

I have around 60-70 website hosted on single server.
    in the night when backups for these sites start, my server becomes somewhat very slow as the backup takes most of the resources.
    is there way to limit the speed of backup or limit the resources it can use, so that it runs in the background without effecting the speed of the server.
    thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no option for that in ISPConfig. But I agree that it would ne nice to have e.g. nice or ionice added in the backup command to limit bandwidth

3. Brett Wilton

Brett Wilton Member

On one server we used a program called cpulimit in that case for a pid but think it could be used for a specific name as well.
    Not sure if that could be used for ispconfig or not though

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess ionice and nice commands will suit better here as cpulimit would limit the whoöe web user (so the sitesd will be slow) or the root user, which would be even worse.

5. Brett Wilton

Brett Wilton Member

Ok, yes I wasn't sure how the backup task gets created or if it was a script. If it was a specific task with pid cpulimit could be used.

6. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you can install pigz and set the no of used processors in
    server/lib/classes/cron.d/500-backup and 500-backup_mail

-p --processes n
    Allow up to n processes (default is the number of online processors)

i'm not sure if this will reduce the load on your server but it makes a difference, if you just 2 instead of 8 cpus.

7. pawan

pawan Member

Hi Florian will it still not use more Ram/Memory if cpu number is restricted or ram usage will also decrease.
    or you mean if I have 8core I can assign 4 cores. so that speed will increase.

Thanks

8. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

With pigz the backups will be much faster but you can limit the cpu-usage.