Setting up a child domain in Bind to point to different server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by ACDII, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ACDII

ACDII Member

Hi All, I have a few servers that run DNS, a primary, a secondary and a standalone. The Pri and Sec are fine, master/slave is working fine, and I can have the child domain working if I have zone files on the Pri and standalone. What I want to do is only have the zone file on the standalone, but resolve through the Primary/secondary without having zone files on it. Basically its a hosts zone for our monitoring systems and only those server will primarily use it, plus if we want to telnet by name that will give us the option to do so.

On the Pri, how can I set up the child domain so that any queries to hostname.hosts.domain.com will forward to the Standalone server? I want to avoid having to slave from the standalone to the primary, since all updates to the zone file will only be done on the standalone through a web interface. We also use Windoze DNS for Exchange, and would like to accomplish the same thing from those servers without having individual zones on the servers.
    Examples would be quite helpful.

Here is what I have so far, this is at the end of my main domain zone file;

hosts.domain.com IN NS ns1.hosts.domain.com.
    hosts.domain.com IN NS ns2.domain.com.
    hosts.domain.com IN NS ns3.domain.com.
    ns1.hosts.domain.com IN A 10.239.254.4

then I have a zone file on the PRI for the child, which replicates to the slave;

$TTL 86400
    $ORIGIN hosts.domain.com.

@ IN SOA server2.hosts.domain.com. admin.hosts.domain.com. (
    2009020302 ; serial
    7200 ; refresh
    7200 ; retry
    604800 ; expire
    172800 ; ttl
    )

@ IN NS ns1.hosts.domain.com.
    ns1.hosts.domain.com IN A 10.239.254.4

and in my named.conf;