Setting up Bind on CentOS 5.2 simplified webservers setup newb question.

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by tritone, Sep 1, 2008.

1. tritone

tritone New Member

So I followed the simple setup guide for Bind/Apache on Centos as posted here -> http://www.howtoforge.com/creating-your-own-webserver-with-bind-and-apache-centos5. BIND is setup with chroot as well, I made the symlinks as recommended and double checked them a few times.

I got everything configured per the tutorial... I think, but when I try and set my domain's (psychpdx.com) name servers to my newly created DNS server I get this error:

"Unable to update nameservers: Nameserver [ns2.psychpdx.com] doesn't exist at the registry "

A little more about my setup that may be the cause of the problem. I have Quest DSL and the servers IP address is set to my local network address 192.192.0.127, I opened the ports on the DSL modem/router to allow in traffic for DNS, SSH, FTP, and web(port 80). I can SSH to my server in from outside my local network to the IP address quest gives me so opening those ports seems to direct traffic where it should. I am not sure if that is what I should be setting in my zone file for an ip, currently I have the internal network IP's?

Here is my zone file per my first many tries, oh and named does start without complaining:

$TTL 14400
    @ 86400 IN SOA ns1.psychpdx.com. [email protected]. (
    2008021501 ; serial, todays date+todays
    86400 ; refresh, seconds
    7200 ; retry, seconds
    3600000 ; expire, seconds
    86400 ) ; minimum, seconds
    psychpdx. 86400 IN NS ns1.psychpdx.com.
    psychpdx. 86400 IN NS ns2.psychpdx.com.
    ns1 IN A 192.192.0.127
    ns2 IN A 192.192.0.127
    website.com. IN A 192.192.0.127
    localhost.website.com. IN A 127.0.0.1
    psychpdx.com. IN MX 0 psychpdx.com.
    mail IN CNAME psychpdx.com.
    www IN CNAME psychpdx.com.
    ftp IN A 192.192.0.127

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this? Sorry if this is super basic but I am pretty new to this stuff.

Cheers!

This site is amazing by the way :)

2. tritone

tritone New Member

I think I figured out my problem, I need to register my domain name at my registrar as a name server, which makes sense with the error. Like I said I am new here :)