Setting up new Ubuntu desktop/server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jkrell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jkrell

jkrell New Member

Hi guys. I cratered my Fedora server through my own stupidity, but I have managed to back up all my data and am ready to do a fresh install and setup. However, I am thinking about using this as an opportunity to switch to Ubuntu. My main reason for this is that I feel like lots of apps are available for Ubuntu but not Fedora, since Ubuntu has more mainstream acceptance.

Anyway, there's a question in here somewhere and that is: If I want to have a server running (web, media (samba), ssh, etc.), but I want to also use the Gnome desktop and have things like Compiz and AWN enabled, is it OK to start with Ubuntu desktop and install the necessary server stuff on top of that? I think Ubuntu server is just command line so I cannot start there. Will I be missing anything I need if I start with Ubuntu desktop (i.e., are there other components I will need to install, in addition to what is described in the "Perfect Server" howto)?

My thought was I would follow your "Perfect Desktop" setup and then do the "Perfect Server" setup on top of that. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes.

No.

Yes. :)