setup Separately mail server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mahdi Sharifi, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Mahdi Sharifi

Mahdi Sharifi New Member

Hi guys :

I want to set up a mail server next to my current server. An email server was added to the master server as per your site's instructions. But when I create a new email it is still added to the same old server.
    instruction here :
    https://www.howtoforge.com/multiser...servers-on-debian-squeeze-with-ispconfig-3-p2

my servers are centos , what problem here ? need any other stage for this ?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What does the above mean?
    Is the question about when you send an e-mail, it goes to the wrong server?
    If you have Roundcube Webmail installed on the new server, try signing in to Roundcube and send an e-mail to yourself. It that mail arrives, the web server is set up correctly.
    If e-mail sent from the outside ends up in the wrong server, then most likely the MX record still points to the wrong place. Check for example with command host what the MX record is.
    Code:
    host thedomain.tld
    where thedomain.tld is the part of e-mail address after the @-sign.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Mahdi Sharifi

Mahdi Sharifi New Member

Oh , sorry, my means :
    when i create new email account, that email related file created on old server in this patch :
    /var/vmail/domain/

above directory on new server not have any related file .

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  4. Taleman

So you have now two e-mail servers?
    My understanding of ISPConfig is, that you can not choose for individual e-mail boxes on which server it goes. But you can create a new e-mail domain in ISPConfig, and assing that to the e-mail server you want. This should work assuming you have in ISPConfig Panel in System and Server Services marked also the new host as mailserver.
    If you want to move existing e-mail domain from old server to new, I am not sure if there is an easy way. You can change the domain to the other mailserver, but I assume this does not transfer the mailboxes and their contents, you would need to do that manually.
    In addition to that, what I wrote in #2 about the MX record still goes. And you have to set up PTR record also so sending e-mail works.

ahrasis and Mahdi Sharifi like this.
  5. Mahdi Sharifi

Mahdi Sharifi New Member

Thanks a lot your answer ...
    Can you guide how can move email Manually ? I moved all email related files . (var/vmail)
    Can you guide how can modify mysql data ?

6. Taleman

There are lots of threads on this forum about migrating mailboxes from host to host. Try Internet Search engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com migrate mailboxes

Mahdi Sharifi likes this.