SFTP Jail and User questions

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by godsdog, Jan 16, 2012.

1. godsdog

godsdog New Member

Hi. I just completed Debianv6x32 install with and would like to know what I need to do (if possible) to be able to add a client username/password and enable them immediate access to their user folder via sftp. I'm guessing that I will need to setup a domain and possibly even an account on the local server.

I have tried already and keep getting this 600 second ban and have enabled the following settings of the user with no avail.
    Max number of FTP users: 10
    Max number of Shell users: 10
    SSH-Chroot Options: None=unchecked, Jailkit=checked

What am I missing? Oh, and thanks a bunch for the help.

2. godsdog

godsdog New Member

Incidentally, I am able to create a Remote User and successfully log into sftp but am not jailed to user folder.
    My goal is to allow client connections via jailed sftp and limit their bandwith and disk usage. I see where these settings are all at, just need to figure out how to allow users to connect with WinSCP and other client apps.

tail -f /var/log/auth.log

Shows check pass; user unknown and authentication failure.

Added user and set pass via root and can sftp in with complete access despite jailkit.

I wonder if there is an easier way to have a linux server where users are setup and they only have access to their home directory which can be accessed via sftp, ftp, webdav, etc...? I'm not interested in the webhosting services for this task.
    ---------------
    after pouring through the numerous posts regarding sftp, I'm starting to realize that I'm expecting Ispconfig to do something that it was not intended to do. There are other products out there like Serv-u that run on linux and will accomplish what I want but it doesn't make sense to pay $2k just for an easy to use interface when linux has these capabilities already. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. bassie

bassie New Member

4. godsdog

godsdog New Member

Putty works, but winscp does not

I am learning plenty.

I have putty, ftps, ftp working for users but sftp via winscp does not. Should I change the ssh shell for jailed ssh users?

Also, does chroot apply to users within this config? I would like to confine all users to their user folder with no access to their web folders or the root folders within their defined jail.

I will keep plugging along and TIA for any assistance.