SFTP on ISPCONFIG

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Bob Hall, Jun 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bob Hall

Bob Hall New Member

Greetings;
    I am sure this has been answered before so I apologize if I am posting again but what I need is pretty straight forward. I need to create sFTP users for one of my sites, where the users have access only to a specific directory with download capabilities. I don't need them to have shell access, only the an sFTP server.

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks
    bob

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Use Internet Search engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com ispconfig sftp directory

I'm not sure about the not shell access, I believe SFTP requires setting up SSH, so that would bring the shell access. But you can just not use shell.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

sFTP is SSH, so you have to create a shell user in ISPConfig. You can not create shell users with sFTP stub only in ISPConfig. If you want to have secure file transfers without a shell user, use FTPS instead (FTP over TLS).

4. Bob Hall

Bob Hall New Member

thank you Till, i am fine with the shell. is there a way to give every access to the same shared directory for download purposes only?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no such option, all shell users of a website have read and write access to the sites files. If you want to allow downloads only, why not create a folder in the web directory and protect it with a password, the download will be secured by ssl when your sites uses ssl.