sh: ... No such file or directory

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by frosty, Oct 13, 2012.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

Hello there,

While trying to invoke my test shell script via crontab, I am bumping into "sh: my_shell_script.sh: No such file or directory" error message. The same script however executes just fine when invoked manually from the Putty ssh terminal, like "./my_shell_script.sh".

The directory where the script resides exists, has 755 permissions set recursively and I can access it/write into it via my FTP client without any problem.

The script my_shell_script.sh itself is just a test script outputting "Hello world":

#!/bin/bash
    echo "Hello world"

The invoking this shell script crontab crontab.txt file goes as follows:

[email protected]
    30 * * * * sh ./my_shell_script

I know that the cronjob to invoke the my_shell_script.sh gets created as running "crontab -l" plus receiving emails proves.

I've written it under my Ubuntu Linux using Kate editor, so it doesn't contain any Windows generated unnecessary characters. The folder where this shell script resides is 755.

I am not sure if it would help, but I've run echo %PATH and it's output is:

/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin

Also, this scenario occurs on my remote hosting account which I am allowed to access via SSH.

Looking forward to hearing from honourable gurus.

Cheers

Alex

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please use the full path to the script in your cron line.

3. frosty

frosty New Member

Full path to a shell script

Thank you for your answer, falko.

I've tried:

[email protected]
    30 * * * * sh /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/my_shell_script

and

[email protected]
    30 * * * * sh /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/.my_shell_script

(just playing with keeping/not keeping dot in front of the shell script name at the end of the path)

both instances - no joy: the same

"sh: /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script: No such file or directory"

and

"sh: /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/.my_shell_script: No such file or directory"

error messages in my mailbox.

Cheers,

Alex

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Run the command:

which sh

to get the full path of the sh interpreter. The replace "sh" in your cron commands with the full path to the sh interpreter.

5. falko

/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script is no path.

I guess you mean /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script so try that one.

6. frosty

frosty New Member

Testing /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script

Thank you for your quick reply.

the "which sh" produced /bin/sh

I've run my cronjob.txt file with the suggested path /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script as

[email protected]
    57 * * * * /bin/sh /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/.my_shell_script

as well as

[email protected]
    57 * * * * /bin/sh /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script

The same "No such file or directory" error message persists.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. CSARLAB

CSARLAB ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

hi there

are you sure you using right path for corn?
    check the path and try again everything is alright

8. frosty

frosty New Member

thank you for chipping in.

how can I find the proper path to my cron jobs? as I said a few posts above, I've run "echo $PATH" and got /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin, not really sure what it is and how to use it.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. falko

What are the outputs of

Code:
    ls -la /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/backup/democronjobs/my_shell_script
    and
    Code:
    updatedb
    locate my_shell_script
    ? (Make sure you replace my_shell_script with the actual name of the script.)

10. frosty

frosty New Member

Output

Just drilling with "ls" into the /opt/ a have found that this folder contains only "suphp" subfolder which in turn contains only "sbin".

No wonder running the ls /opt/dell/ already produced "No such file or directory" error message.

updatedb and locate my_shell_script thrown out "command not found".

Cheers,

Alex

11. CSARLAB

which distribution you using?
    every linux distribution have different commands

12. frosty

frosty New Member

Which version

What Linux distro are we talking about? If it's about my desktop, then I am on Ubuntu 10.04. Or are you asking about Linux system of my hosting where I am trying to work with my shell scripts?

Cheers,

Alex

13. CSARLAB

Your hosting where you trying this shell script mate that i am asking:)

14. aFoP

aFoP New Member

Hi,
    I would not specify /bin/sh in the cron job itself ...

What about
    If in the script itself you specify #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/sh it should run (as root) without problems.
    Or did you try to add below 2 lines into the crontab before the above line?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  15. frosty

frosty New Member

Thank you

Thank you for your answer, aFoP and to the rest who's help me in this thread. Although I've already moved from that project, I still do appreciate your reply.

To mods: Please feel free to close this thread now.

Have a nice weekend eveyone ;)

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013