shared hosting for emails - private server for website

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by ariban99, Jul 1, 2015.

1. ariban99

ariban99 Member

Hi,
    My ISP is blocking port 25.
    is it possible for me to pay a shared hosting company (i found one for $1.99 a month) that will host my emails on their server but at the same time all website should be hosting on my private server at home so they are more secure and load faster etc...
    if this is possible how should i do it? what should i put in the dns records or not put in ifconfig, i imagine from my domain registrar i would point to the shared hosting and then in the shared hosting how do i request all websites to go to my server?

thank you
    Ben

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats should be possible. You just have to ensure that the company where you register the domain (and host the dns for the domain) allows you to set the A-Record for your domain to your home IP and the MX recrd for the domain to this shared hosting company.

3. ariban99

ariban99 Member

thank you, i will verify with them.
    do you think its a good idea or do you see any issues?
    also i will run drupal for my websites, drupal sends emails to clients who place an order on my website, do you think this will cause any issues or should i install postfix on my server for those outgoing emails? my isp allows sending with a relay option from the isp.
    thank you
    Ben

4. Patrick Hansen

Patrick Hansen New Member

I dont think this should cause any problems at all i do it on a lot of my websites. you have to verify how drupal sends mails though :)

5. ariban99

ariban99 Member

yes i found a relayhost for free that sends emails for me its called serversmtp.com, so that would handle drupal emails and for everything else i can use the share hosting for emails and my server for the website.