Shared IP: A few quick questions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by leroy_30, Feb 11, 2009.

1. leroy_30

leroy_30 New Member

My eye's are crossed from reading posts trying to find the answers to this so:

Last night I installed ISPConfig following the guide http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts "BTW NICE HOWTO".

vhosts seem to be working fine, but the primary domain that I used during the installation reports the Shared IP page, with or without the "www".

So now to the question(s):

1. Was I wrong to use
    Code:
    www.mydomain.com
    (my primary domain) during the setup?

2. Should I have used
    Code:
    www.somefakename.com
    instead? When I usually configure an Apache Server I setup all of my domains as vhosts and leave the default Apache folders alone.

3. If this is the correct behavior where exactly should I be uploading my primary domain files to, and where do I change the options for it? I can't add it as a vhost because ISPConfig gives me an error that www.mydomain.com already exists :-(

I did try changing the server name from Server1.mydomain.com to myservername.mydomain.com and changing the www for this domain to myservername but i still get the error that www.~ already exists.

Thanx in advance for any assistance

2. leroy_30

leroy_30 New Member

hmm. apparently I'm slightly off today. After I emptied the trash I was able to add www.mydomain.com as a vhost. Who'd a thunk it :)
    Just curious though, will changing the www to u804jeos-vm1 under

Management -> Server -> Settings -> Server -> Server Name & Host Name

&

Management -> Server -> Settings -> DNS -> Default Ns1: & Default Ns2:

Break things or is that OK?

It appears to work fine. But I'm not using the email at the moment either.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Changing these settings will not break anything.

4. leroy_30

leroy_30 New Member

Thx till. I decided to reinstall anyway "It was acting flaky" and changed the settings during the install. Working as I expect now.