"Shared IP" Message and Fragmented Vhost.conf files!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bpmee, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bpmee

bpmee Member

Hi All,

I setup several different resellers on my server, along with two main domains on the main IP.

Then, I went to ifcfgeth and installed several IPs as aliases for the main server ip, so that I can put sites on different IP addresses.

Next, I programmed a private nameserver for each reseller to use on a unique IP (only 1 unique IP & nameserver per reseller) so that they would not be using mine.

All of the reseller sites and their name servers, ie. ns1.reseller.com work and Ping fine.

Now, I have added several accounts to one of these resellers, and have setup the account names to use the private nameservers: ns1.reseller.com , ns2.mymaindomain.com.

I setup the DNS correctly at my registrar and all sites, nameservers, and IPs ping successfully.

Now, when I try to access one of the accounts under Reseller 1, for example, www.client1.com, I get "SHARED IP. To access this account please type in the address not the number IP"..

Falko commented on another thread that this is caused by mismatched IPs, that is, the site is on one IP but the configuration points to another.

I went through each client site under Reseller 1 and matched all the IPs - most were correct except for 1 or 2.

Also, Falko mentioned that this may be caused by Vhost issues...

So I looked at my Vhost.conf file, and I noticed that the main file had all of my resellers included BELOW the list of virtual IPs. Following the reseller virtual entries there was ONE random client account at the bottom (though I made over 80+!!!)

The other accounts I programmed were found in multiple "Vhost_12_9_13" etc type files in the /vhosts folder.

1.) Now, when I reboot NAMED and look at the client sites, I STILL GET THE "SHARED IP" message?????? :confused:

2.)Are the Vhost entries supposed to be listed in multipe files, even though some overlap or appear redundant? Why are they all over the place and not set in one file?

3.)Why does the main file have all the resellers and one unrelated client account, and not all other client accounts I installed (some 80 +).:confused:

Thanks all for your help....:)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is your server in a NAT enviroment behind a router? If yes, you must use your internal IP address for the websites. If not, ping your domain from your workstation, does it show the same IP address that you selected in ISPConfig?

All files vhosts are in one file. If you have other vhsost files, these files are not from ISPConfig and you must remove them if you want to use ISPConfig and redstart your werbserver.

The main file has always all domains that where created in ISPConfig. Clients and resellers where never written to the vhosts file as clients are only created virtually in the ISPConfig interface.

3. bpmee

bpmee Member

Thanks Till, here's what I have

Hi Till,

Thanks for your response...

1.) Yes, I can ping each website from my workstation and the IP that is returned is the one I assigned for each website.

As a result, I don't believe I am behind a NAT router.

2.) The vhost files: Should I manually copy/paste the contents of the other non-ISPconfig files into the ISPconfig Vhost file - note, they are formatted the same way as the ISPconfig vhost file?

Thanks for your help!

4. till

2) you acn not copy anything in the Vhost_ispconfig.conf file, it will be overridden. Delet your other vhost files, restart apache and create the websites in ISPConfig again.

5. bpmee

bpmee Member

...but I still get these vhost_ispconfg... files!

Hi Till,

Thanks for your reply.

I deleted all the other vhost_ispconfg files, but they are being recreated automatically!

For example: Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_20-09-06_13-30-02

Why is this happening?

6. till

Make a backup of the file Vhosts_ispconfig.conf, then rename the file Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_20-09-06_13-30-02 to Vhosts_ispconfig.conf

Run the command:

httpd -t

and post the error message here.

7. bpmee

bpmee Member

I Deleted the fragmented files and started over

Hi Till,

Thanks for this tip, but I followed your advice from the previous post and deleted all the extra Vhost* files from my server.

I'm now starting over, and so far everything is working fine.

I'll reply if I have any other errors... At the moment I am waiting for my domain registar to fix some issues with their name server management.

:cool: