Show diff for tutorials

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Taleman, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Jesse Norell likes this.
  2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I don't think the diff will be there unless it uses git format or similar; or they don't delete the previous lines and just add a strike through for that old lines and add an underline to the new added lines or something similar. In any event, I suggested to use git for the PST contents coming from ISPConfig as other writers may easily not open their intellectual property license for others to modify.

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sometimes there are minor changes. If there is any need to change anything on live systems, we will let you know ofcourse.

For example, a recent change was the removal of the instructions to install certbot.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There has been discussion of what documentation platform to use for ispconfig, including keeping an updated manual; definitely versioning and tracking old versions by date and release should be a strong consideration. I assume (though may be wrong) the PST as we have known then would take up life on that site in some form.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The ISPConfig installation guides will stay here at howtoforge and not become part of the new doc platform. The changes in the perfect server guides are not applicable to existing systems, so there is no real need to track them as they should not be applied to a system that runs ISPConfig already, they are relevant for new installations only. Most of the changes would even break existing installs if you would apply them. But I'll see if I can add some kind of diff feature for the guides.

ahrasis and Jesse Norell like this.
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This thread here is a good example why having a diff function might cause many issues and broken systems:

https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/certbot-acme-sh.86385/

We switched from certbot.to acme.sh in the perfect server guides, but that's nothing that one should ever do on an existing system as certbot can not import certs from acme.sh and acme.sh can't import certs from certbot, so if you would try to apply the difference of the perfect server guide versions to your existing server, you will mess it up completely.

ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

One use case for retaining old instructions somewhere is restoring a full backup (eg. as recently asked in about https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...to-a-new-server-the-relevent-etc-items.86394/): if you have a system running with certbot, but use the current perfect server instructions to install your new server on which to restore your backup, it will have acme.sh, and of course have the letsencrypt issues caused thereby.

ahrasis likes this.