Simple(?) help with Gparted resizing

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by alexlinco, Oct 5, 2009.

1. alexlinco

alexlinco New Member

I apologize if this is in the wrong area or has been asked before, I could not find an answer using search.

Alright, my problem is rather simple, i think. I am using the most recent Gparted and booting it off a USB drive. It all works, no problems and stuff. I just kind of need a how to on this;
    I recently got rid of windows 7 on a dual boot laptop. Though, now my friend would like to just use XP and add what was being used for 7 to it (something like 20gb). Now I formatted the partition that windows 7 was on, but I can not find any simple or clear way to turn in back into unallocated space and then add it to the XP partition.
    In short, I now just want to go from two paritions back to one.

And I have done this before, it was pretty easy to shrink and grow a partition, though its been a few months and whatever I did then, i cannot seem to do so simply anymore.

Thank you very much for your help.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are these NTFS partitions? Are they neighbours on the hard drive?

3. alexlinco

alexlinco New Member

Yes they were both NTFS partitions. I am unsure what 'nieghbors' may exactly mean, but they were the only two partitions on the drive.
    And Now I just want to get rid of one, and give the space all back to the other.
    I was able to do it once before, but for the life of me I cannot seem to get it now.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Hm, should be no problem to make one big partition out of these... :confused:

5. alexlinco

alexlinco New Member

BOY do i feel dumb. It wasn't a problem in the end.
    I found out that I needed to run the
    chkdsk /f
    on my xp partition before I could add the other extra space to it. That was a step I completely forgot doing the last time I did it. Well, problem solved.
    Thank you though!