Single Server Setup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by mfiendd, May 30, 2006.

1. mfiendd

mfiendd New Member

I setup everything using ISPConfig to play with. I like it but only need to host one site. Since ISPConfig is mainly setup to be used for multiple sites and a direct connection to the internet, I have no need for it. I have tried to look for guides for a single server setup to have the features as you normally would with a host e.g. mysql, perl, cgi, php, phpmyadmin, etc. I haven't found much out there to assist with the setup process. Does anyone have any refrences to share to with me to assist with setting up a webserver without ISPConfig?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Which distribution do you use?

3. mfiendd

mfiendd New Member

Using Fedora Core 5 and or I could use any other distro that is best fit for the job.

4. falko

5. mfiendd

mfiendd New Member

Just to make sure that I do the FTP accounts correctly. Create a user with home directory to /var/www to access the directory. I'm not sure how to apply the rights for that user to have read, write, execute or mainly owner rights.

Also, how do I add access to a MySQL database for that same user or a different user for security purposes. So I can install scripts that require MySQL i.e. phpNuke, IPB, etc. This is where I'm lost, I've gotten to use of automation with with creating the accounts and databases with CPanel. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about using just CLI to administor the server.

Greatly appreciate the support, knowledge and assitance that everyone puts in here,

MfiendD

6. mfiendd

mfiendd New Member

Nevermind about MySQL, I installed webmin. Huge book to read might I add but wow. It goes in depth about alot. I created the usernames that I wanted to use for the database. Now I can install my scripts woohoo.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The full path to the html portion is /var/www/html. When createing SSI's I just need to use that path and the general home/usernamehere/public_html/www/foldernamehere stuff right?

7. falko

Just change the ownership of /var/www/html:
    Code:
    chown user:group /var/www/html
    You can install phpMyAdmin in /var/www/html and access it in your browser.

8. mfiendd

mfiendd New Member

Thank you very much, I got it setup and running like a charm. Now it's time to see how long it'll take for me to really mess up the box. Thats ok, I gotta learn and wanna learn.

Again thank you very very much for your help everyone,

MfiendD