Site's folder

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by inY2K, Nov 12, 2019.

1. inY2K

inY2K New Member

Hi there,
    So i added a site and on the ipsconfig panel it says that the files are @
    /var/www/clients/client1/web1 however, in reality they are stored at /web. If add an ftp account or shell, it still says that the files will be at
    /var/www/clients/client1/web1 but that's not true. What am I doing wrong, and how do I move everything to the right folder and make the domain resolve to such folder without breaking the site?

Thank you very muhc!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is nothing wrong, your system layout is exatly as it should be and the domain points to the right folder which is 'web* inside of the web root. You just missed the point that a website is more than just a folder for some public accessible files, the website root folder is /var/www/clients/client1/web1 which means all folders of the website like log folder, ssl certs, user folders, private folder and also the folder which contains the actual website files are in this folder. With an FTP user or shell user you can access some of the folders like the web folder which contains the public web files and the private folder where you can put files that shall not be accessible by http or the backup folder to download backups or the log folder to view log files of your site.

3. inY2K

inY2K New Member

Hey, thank you so much,
    But I'm confused. If I create a user account, it points to /var/www/clients/client1/web1, and the site says that's the root folder. yet, there is not such a thing. There is however /home/web1.
    Yet..if for example, I want to show up a picture in my site, I actually need to upload it to /web and that's it. Because the only files showing up at domain.com are the ones in the base folder called web. not /var/www/clients/client1/web1 or /home/web1.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

From the perspective of the web server, /var/www/clients/client#/web#/web/ is the document root. (Note that in .htaccess files, this is the path you must use.) When you ftp to the server, you see that as simply /web, because your ftp connection is restricted and cannot navigate the entire server filesystem.