Sites go down, server still up

Discussion in 'General' started by supaphly42, Jul 7, 2008.

1. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

So, every couple of weeks or so (it varies), all of the sites I'm hosting go down. However, I can still ssh into the server, so that's fine. Anyone have any ideas what would be causing this, and how to stop it from happening?? Thanks!

2. tmaleshafske

tmaleshafske New Member

What are in your Log Files

3. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

There's nothing showing up in the error log (the one in /root/ispconfig/httpd/logs/error_log, only one I know of). This is the last entry, from the last time I started it:

Code:
    [Sat Jun 21 10:23:58 2008] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Sat Jun 21 10:23:58 2008] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

4. tmaleshafske

tmaleshafske New Member

What about in you SYSLOG and messages

5. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

I found this line in my SYSLOG:

Jul 7 06:25:06 web exiting on signal 15

I did some research, and it appears to deal with chip temp or something?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are there any other errors in the logs in /var/log?

7. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

I found this in my apache2/error.log:
    [Tue Jul 08 14:22:07 2008] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Invalid method in request \x80@\x01\x03

Any other logs I should be looking into? Also, it's just the hosted sites that won't come up. I can still hit the ispconfig admin pages (which is a seperate apache instance, if I recall).

8. tmaleshafske

tmaleshafske New Member

What kind of set up do you have as for as an external IP address static or dynamic..If it is dynamic is that what is causing it every few weeks to go offline and your modifying tha in the ISPCONFIG Control Panel and then bringing it back up online? Also when it happens do you automatically reboot your router. Basically what I am saying have you ruled out all other components between the internet and your server.

9. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

Nope, internet connection is fine. I can still ssh in and hit the ispconfig control panel from anywhere. And I never reboot the router, just the server.

And even that's not working now (apparently the problem is getting worse). Usually, I can do a full reboot on the server, and everything comes back up. This time, I took it down, let it sit for a few hours, cleaned it out inside and all, and when I brought it back up, ssh and control panel, but no sites.

Thanks for the help all!

10. tmaleshafske

tmaleshafske New Member

alright what showed up in your logs both the ones in ISPCONFIG and /var/log/

also is there any errors if you just restart apache

11. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

I don't see anything out of the ordinary showing up in those logs. Is there a particular log I should be looking at in /var/log or elsewhere? (I've been looking at /var/log/apache2/error.log)

Also, not seeing anything showing up in the ISPConfig logs. And, when I check the ISPConfig control panel, it shows this under services:
    Web-Server: Online
    FTP-Server: Online
    SMTP-Server: Online
    POP3-Server: Online
    BIND-Server: Online
    mySQL-Server: Online

So, according to it, everything is up and running, but I can't access any of my web sites.

12. tmaleshafske

tmaleshafske New Member

I'll be online pretty much all day tomorrow after about 11AM Central Time. Enter a chat session at http://www.maleshfske.com/hcl. If it shows offline send me a Private Message and I'll get online. And we'll see if we can get this figure out. Then will post the solution if we figure it out back to the forum.

13. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?

14. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

tmaleshafske, sorry, I've been out of town and haven't been able to get online.

Falko, here's the output:

Code:
    root@web:/home/me# netstat -tap
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name   
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*                     LISTEN     3838/mysqld         
    tcp        0      0 *:81                    *:*                     LISTEN     4168/ispconfig_http 
    tcp        0      0 web.me.net:domain    *:*                     LISTEN     4401/named          
    tcp        0      0 localhost.locald:domain *:*                     LISTEN     4401/named          
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     8076/master         
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdoma:953 *:*                     LISTEN     4401/named          
    tcp6       0      0 *:imaps                 *:*                     LISTEN     3712/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3s                 *:*                     LISTEN     3747/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3                  *:*                     LISTEN     3727/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN     3692/couriertcpd    
    tcp6       0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN     30282/apache2       
    tcp6       0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN     4428/proftpd: (acce 
    tcp6       0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     4001/sshd           
    tcp6       0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     8076/master         
    tcp6       0      0 ip6-localhost:953       *:*                     LISTEN     4401/named          
    tcp6       0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN     30282/apache2       

15. tmaleshafske

tmaleshafske New Member

Well it is listening. When you try to go to the site that you are hosting what error message do you get in your browser? also I will be online after about 2 P.M. and I would be willing to give you a hand then.

16. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

It just times out, and throws a "Connection has timed out. The server at www.mysite.net is taking too long to respond."

17. supaphly42

supaphly42 New Member

Ok, after chatting with tmaleshafske and doing some more searching, it appears the problem did lie in my router. I found an old port forwarding/triggering entry in there, that when I disabled it, everything came up. Not sure why it was so intermittent, or why it took so long to show up (I've been running these sites for months, and haven't touched the router in as long), but, it's working, so all is good. Thanks for the help all!