SkySQL and MariaDB

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by itanium, Oct 13, 2010.

1. itanium

itanium Member

Hi the community!

I think it's a good idea that ispconfig install support mariadb / Skysql.

http://mariadb.org/

http://skysql.com/en/index

In the next day, i will try to install and test ispconfig in this environment (mariaDB).

http://kb.askmonty.org/v/mariadb-versus-mysql

Some customers received a letter from Oracle:

MySQL will not have a certain future in the OpenSource world i think.

Did you plan to support this database?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mariadb is not as compatible with mysql as they claim on their homepage. So it is definately not a drop in replacement. I tried to install ispconfig on it some time ago for a customer but it does not worked well. Mariadb is much more strict on sql data types then mysql. Maybe there is some kind of switch to relax the type checking in myriadb to make it more compatible to mysql?

As far as I understand, the letter above talks only about the prices of the non gpl versions of mysql database that can be bought from oracle.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  3. itanium

itanium Member

that's what I understood.

I fear that mysql close some functions for the community version in the future.

4. till

Personally I dont think that they will remove functions that are nescessary to run ispconfig as this would most likely mean that all mojor cms systems like joomla, wordpress and typo3 would not work anymore on mysql as well. But if thats the case, then we will find a solution for that by supporting other mysql forks or even postgres.

5. itanium

itanium Member

Perfect :)

Thank you for your fast answers.

6. Stown

Stown Member

Hi all,

Is it worth after 4 years to try MariaDB again? I am also a fan of MariaDB. Maybe the compatibility is now been solved?

7. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You could try it, but MariaDB is not officially supported by ISPConfig.

8. skycity

skycity New Member

As many organizations are moving away from MySQL (e.g. RHEL 7 now uses MariaDB as its default implementation) this topic is becoming even more relevant. Not to mention the advantages MariaDB has over MySQL.

9. till

Mariadb should be working already. if I remember correctly it is used by latest opensuse as well.

10. mitsos

mitsos New Member

MariaDB 5.5 is completely compatible with ispconfig with no changes to either of them (for a basic 1 server install, see last paragraph). I've been using it on production systems that host wordpress/joomla sites, and NEVER had any issue with it.

The basic procedure for migrating over to mariadb is:
    1)add the repository for mariadb 5.5 (debian wheezy) and apt-get update
    2)stop the mysql service
    3)apt-get install mariadb-server
    3)check mysql service is running, if not start it.

That's pretty much what you have to do to migrate over to mariadb. No, you don't even need to restore your databases.

In my case I'm using it to sync a cluster for ispconfig (galera cluster), built without ispconfig's cluster support. There are 2 extremely small details that you need to change, then everything is working OK, and changes are mirrored between the cluster's members. Adding a new site for example on one server gets added to the database, which is in turn replicated to the other server's database, ispconfig notices the change, and creates the directories/files needed on the 2nd server as well. Bonus points if you set it up between different datacenters.

11. Stown

Stown Member

I installed the latest repo, 10.1 MariaDB.

I did shutdown the mysql service and installed mariadb-server with the right repo's from apt-get and everything works fine!

Maybe even faster hahaha.

12. mitsos

mitsos New Member

I didn't want to install 10 because the version that got integrated into jessie (debian 8) is 5.5.
    Having a package maintained by the distro is a lot better than having extra repositories.

I also got a few comments from clients that their sites (php=>mysql) were faster :)

13. stef157

stef157 Member

Yes MariaDB is working fine.

Just install these php module php5-mysqlnd and not php5-mysql.
    => If you don't do this, you will get some error in the log but that should work too.