Slicker spam handling with Maildirs

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by IntnsRed, Nov 6, 2005.

1. IntnsRed

IntnsRed ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I don't think this has already been posted as a suggestion (and I even looked ;) ).

But in regards to this thread I'd really like to see this incorporated in an integrated fashion into ISPConfig.

Unfortunately, spam is now a fact of life on the 'net. ISPConfig's integrated spam checking is really slick -- but it seems not fully done without dropping that spam into a user's default Spam folder if Maildirs are enabled.
    ________
    HONDA XL125

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. bosei

bosei Member

Echo spam handling in ISPConfig

I think this issue of spam is getting more relevant to what ISPC is designed to do. I don't know how hard this may or may not be but as a service/hosting provider this is what I would like to see if possible:

• Ability to automatically put mail marked ****spam**** into special .spam folder
    • Option to switch on for each user or
    • Option to use system-wide spam folder administered by admins.
    • Perhaps a subfolder or group structure for this system wide folder (similar to sites/users structure in ISPC) so clients can subscribe to a service if desired
    It would be nice to be able to check mail out before simply dumping it or having to deal with it every day. At the moment ISPC only allows you to dump them (makes false positives a worry) or accept them (inconveniant and potentially dangerous)

A similar option for mail contaminated with a virus could be even more important as it would allow them to be dealt with by experienced admins and would even help with improving defensive measures or reporting threats.

Till, Falko, is this on the horizon at all?

Thanks

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It's on our list, but I don't know when it will be ready.

4. spoetnik

spoetnik New Member

Maybe the Maia interface could be a good starting point??

5. brt

brt New Member

filing spam to extra (imap)folder on the server

if you are using the imap protocol you can move spam-mails to a seperate folder using procmail.

the following adds appropriate procmail-rules to the global master config file:

Code:
    echo -e "\n" >> /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master
    echo "# ***SPAM*** -> SPAM Folder" >> /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master
    echo ":H" >> /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master
    echo "* Subject:.*\*\*\*SPAM\*\*\*.*" >> /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master
    echo "$HOME/Maildir/.SPAM/" >> /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master

WARNING:
    • this effects all mailboxes !
    • you must repeat this after ISPC updates !
    • when using POP3 you do not get any of these mails !
    • some IMAP-Mail Clients may force you to "subscribe" the SPAM folder as it will not be shown by default
    • It only works if the Subject contains: ***SPAM***

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

So probably the question is what effort is required to create a Maia add-on for ISPConfig?

7. brt

brt New Member

just my thoughts

maia is based on memory resident amavisd-new.

with amavisd-new all, even outgoing mail, gets scanned.

with the current ISPC mail only gets scanned when it is filed to the users mailbox, this safes performance and reduces the possibility for false positives on outgoing mail.

the ISPC configuration already lets you change the most important spam-settings, so i am ok with it :)

8. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

Ok, fine. I just want to be able to help SPamAssassin understand that not everything it thinks is spam actually is, and the other way around. Right now I'm just too reliant on Thunderbird (which does an excellent job btw).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SpamAssassin does nothing more than add something to the title and still passes the spam on to the user, correct?

9. brt

brt New Member

UsingSpamAssassin

well you already have the possibility to whitelist and blacklist addresses width ISPC.

Spamassassin has the possibility to learn, and bayes only works if it has been well teached with ham and spam.

there are some possibilities to tune Spamassassin to reduce false positives:
    UsingSpamAssassin

10. mulderlaw

mulderlaw New Member

ispconfig spam filtering weakness

The real problem here and where the need for maia comes in IMHO, is that if a user configures their ISPC email account to forward email to another address, because of the .forward/procmail combination, postfix forwards the message before it can be spam filtered. Maybe this is more "right", but as a sysadmin I certainly don't see the point in having users' SPAM forwarded (essentially relayed) through my servers. If I am going through the trouble to have a server that can filter SPAM, why would I want half my users which forward email to get tons of spam thanks in part to my service? This is BAD!!!

Maia would give a "mandatory" system wide shared bayesian based spam filter to be used by every account on the box which would filter and quarantine crap before postfix could forward it on to their outside address.

If nobody has tackled this yet, I don't know if any integration with ispconfig would make much sense. Would it be nice to have site admins optionally be a domain admin in maia, or no?