Smpt

Discussion in 'General' started by alexillsley, Jan 17, 2007.

1. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Hey,
    How can i disable SMPT for some users?
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

You can't. if you use authentication, only authenticated users can use your smtp daemon

3. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

will this stop them from using the php mail() command

4. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Ah, a possible script vulnerability. No, it will not stop php mail() to local domains/users. But depending on your setup, you can enforce authentication. As long as you have that you're oke.
    Are some scripts being abused on your system? You should track down the offending script and remove it from your system, no matter how hard the user/owner of that website complains. Tell him you don't allow broken scripts for the sake of all the users on your system.

5. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

No, one is currently abusing the system, i just want to prevent anyone from possibly in the future trying to. Dont want any spam mailers on my system

Could you explain to me how to add authentication? I would like my site and a few others sites of people i trust to be allowed to send mail but not anyone else

Thanks,
    Alex

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could remove 127.0.0.0/8 from the mynetworks line in /etc/postfix/main.cf. That way even localhost and therefore all PHP scripts, webmail applications, etc. would have to authenticate to send mail.

7. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

How would you authenticate when sending mail, e.g a php script?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The PHP mail function is not able to authenticate itself, you must use a PHP email class for sending mails that supports smtp authentication.

9. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Would the webmail "UebiMiau!" still work? Would it be easy to add users + passwords?

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you would have to reconfigure UebiMiau.

Generally every mailuser in ISPConfig can send mail, so its just enough to create a user and use this username and password for sending mail.

11. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

How would i get SMTP Auth working?
    Thanks alot!
    Alex

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  12. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Thanks for all your help but i figured out how to stop certain users from sending out outgoing mail! Thanks again, Alex!