SMTP and IMAP autodiscover for Outlook and Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by martinhe, Aug 25, 2021.

1. martinhe

martinhe Member

Hello,

can you please advise me how to set up an autodiscover for email clients? I found a plugin for ISPConfig called Automail, but I'd rather know how to do it without installing the plugin. Isn't it easier, please?

What are the options, please, to arrange this?

Thank you so much for the tips.

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i believe the automail plugin was just include some functionality within ispconfig, which is in the core now.
    i believe all you need to do now is create the correct cname / srv records, create the website and upload and configure the files, ie all the manual steps described in the automail install instructions..

that said, don't expect it to work with the latest versions of outlook, either locally installed, or the outlook365 online stuff.
    microsoft have changed the autoconfig stuff, and have kept the changes private. you can get it all working with outlook 2000/2003/2007/2010 etc. but i don't think anyone has managed to get the autoconfiguration working between recent outlook releases and non-microsoft mail services. thunderbird should be fine though.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't think there is anything included in ispconfig for that, but just follow the automail install instructions and it works well (with the caveat @nhybgtvfr mentioned if not supporting recurrent outlook).