SMTP auth

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by GHz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. GHz

GHz New Member

Hi all,

Somewhere on the forums I read that SMTP auth isnt required on the internal network, but it IS when connecting to the mailserver from the internet. Is this true? (just to verify)

I have also added smtp and imap to the fail2ban config, but it doesnt ban, is that because I am using webmail (in my roundcube conf I specified 127.0.0.1 as smtp and imap server)? If so, is there a way to still be able to use webmail and fail2ban banning invalid logons?

I just tried to specify my external IP as IMAP and SMTP server, and I ofcourse tried from another network with different external IP, but now it returns a connection error. Any ideas on which IP to specify as IMAP/SMTP server to ban the external IP instead of returning errors? I also tried to set its internal IP but then its own internal IP gets banned.

My ports are forwarded as they should.

thank you

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This depends on your setting in the postfix main.cf.

By default smtp-auth is also required from the local network unless you specify in the mynetworks setting. Only connections from 127.0.0.1 are allowed without authentication by default.