SMTP authentication not working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by antun, Jan 11, 2008.

1. antun

antun New Member

I set up an ISPConfig server some time ago, following the perfect setup. My SMTP server works for sending mail, but doesn't require or ask for any authentication.

Is there a setting I have to make it require SMTP auth?

-Antun

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the content of the postfix main.cf file, comments stripped.

3. antun

antun New Member

Here you go. I've replaced the domain name of the ISPConfig server with "mydomain.com". Note that mydomain.com refers to the ISPConfig server itself, not one of the sites on it that I send mail from.

Thanks,

Antun

4. till

Did you send the email form a mail application which is installed on the server or from a mail application that is installed on another computer?

5. antun

antun New Member

Hi Till,

I sent the email from a mail client on my laptop, not from this server.

-Antun

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in your mail log?
    What's the output of
    Code:
    telnet localhost 25
    and then
    Code:
    ehlo localhost
    ?

7. antun

antun New Member

I get the same output regardless of whether I log in as [email protected] or [email protected]:

Remember, mydomain.com is the domain of the ISPConfig server. webX_myusername is my username on one of the sites that is controlled by that ISPConfig server (i.e. mysite.com).

Thanks,

Antun

8. till

SMTP authentications means that you have to authenticate when you want to send emails to external domains. If you want to send emails to a local domain or when you use a email client which runs on the server like a webmail application, you dont have to authenticate yourself.

9. antun

antun New Member

I understand. However, when I try to provide a username and password for the SMTP server (in say, Thunderbird), it fails to authenticate me. It simply doesn't accept my username/password (although it does let me send emails to other accounts on the same domain with no authentication).

I know I'm using the right credentials, because I'm able to check my mail using Thunderbird.

10. falko

Are you sure you filled in your username and password in the right place in Thunderbird?

11. antun

antun New Member

Absolutely!

I set the username and password under:

Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP)

Note I used webX_myusername as the username and the password that works for SSH access. webX_myusername is the username from the mysite.com domain that is one of the domains that is managed by ISPConfig.

-Antun

12. falko

Are there any errors in your mail log? Which distribution are you using?

13. antun

antun New Member

Here's what shows up in /var/log/mail.log when I try to connect using SMTP authentication:

I've obscured myworkdomain.com and the IP address.

-Antun

14. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    ps aux|grep saslauthd
    ? What's in /etc/default/saslauthd? Does it work when you restart saslauthd?
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/saslauthd restart

15. antun

antun New Member

Hi Falko,

Here's the output I get from ps aux | grep saslauthd:

When I try to restart it, as you suggested, there are no error messages written out to the terminal but it looks like the saslauthd service is not being started correctly. It still doesn't show up if I run ps aux... and I can't send emails either.

Thanks,

Antun

16. till

Any errors in your mail log, syslog or messages log when you restart saslauthd?

17. antun

antun New Member

Woohoo, it's working!

There were no errors in any of the log files you mentioned when I restarted saslauthd. No log entries at all, in fact. So I took a look at the saslauthd startup script (/etc/init.d/saslauthd), and noticed that it exited silently as follows:

Code:
    # If we're not to start the daemon, simply exit
    if [ "${START}" != "yes" ]; then
        exit 0
    fi

The START variable was set in a DEFAULTS file (/etc/default/saslauthd). I opened that file and found this piece of code:

Code:
    # This needs to be uncommented before saslauthd will be run automatically
    # START=yes

I uncommented the START=yes line and tried restarting saslauthd, and hey presto, it worked.

Thank you both Falko and Till for your patience and help on this!

Now I have a couple more follow-up questions:

• Why was that line ever commented out at all?
    • Did I do the right thing here, or should I not make changes to stuff in /etc/default?
    • On Ubuntu, how do I ensure that the saslauthd startup script gets called on a reboot?

Again, many thanks for your help on this.

-Antun

18. tensor

tensor New Member

This a "disabled by default" security approach of modern OS'es.

/etc/default/* file are designed to be edited by admin on Debian.

You may want to read "man update-rc.d".

19. antun

antun New Member

Great. Thanks for the info everyone!

-Antun