SMTP authentication not working..

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Playfrog4u, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

When I telnet into my mail server I get
    My main.cf is
    And I installed saslauthd and did restarts to it as well as configure the smtpd.conf file..
    I'm at a loss now and it is a security risk for the server to be on without authentication..

I use http://smtper.nanogenesis.fr/ to test the server smtp and not use authentication and it sends to my inbox from my server..

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which of the perfect server tutorials did you use to prepare your server for the installation of ISPConfig?

3. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

4. till

The smtp authentication is done directly against dovecot in this setup. Did you try to run a ispconfig update with reconfigure services = yes on the affected server?

5. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

Alright, ill give that a go right now

6. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

I did the 'php -q update.php' and didn't reconfigure database, but did reconfigure services and did a reboot but no luck..

7. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

I still can't get this to work correctly.. Any ideas?

8. till

Please post the exact error messages from mail.log that you get when the authentication fails.

9. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

I just fixed the open relay issue, but it's not requiring authentication. and I do not get any errors.. I may be over seeing it.. but I feel like it should require the authentication before sending from the server

10. till

If you followed the perfect server guide for installation then your system was not an open relay. Open relaying is often tested in the wrong way which leads to false results, if you want to test if your server is a pen relay, then use a open relay tester in the internet, dont try to test it manually with your email client and addresses.