SMTP Config

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Cracklefish, May 8, 2009.

1. Cracklefish

Cracklefish Member

I think that there is unprotected public access to my smtp server. I can send email via this server which is on the office network, from home, without any authentication

How should I configure it so that external clients have to authenticate but internal clients get direct access?

I am running Suse11.1 with ISPConfig 3 and using the Suse firewall

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not meam´n that your server is a open relay if you can send from the internal network. Use a open relay test which are available on the internet to test if your server is really a open relay.

3. Cracklefish

Cracklefish Member

The open relay test says the server is not open.

I don't understand what is going on as I can access this server when I am connected to the internet on an external ip address albeit using the same ISP ie my home not the office. Surely this should not be possible.

However I would like to set up a relayhost - How?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

5. Cracklefish

Cracklefish Member

Sorry, my inexperience and ignorance is showing! I have obviously used the wrong terminology.

Currently we have an account with an ISP that allows us worldwide access to their SMTP server but requires a password and username ( is this authenticated access?) I want to provide this facility on our mail server.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

So you want a mail server that others can use to relay emails? All you need is SMTP-AUTH and an email account (together with a username & password). The username and password is what the other servers need to authenticate.

7. Cracklefish

Cracklefish Member

I only need it for mail clients.

I was rather expecting it to work like most ISP systems that I have encountered. ie. Internal clients don't need to authenticate but external clients do.

I have not been able to confirm how an external client functions today. but when I send an email from the office network, if the recipient is an internal mail box I don't need to set a username and password but if the recipient is external (eg [email protected]) then I have to set username and password. It seems to accept any valid uname/psswd not just the one for the sending account.

If that is correct then I am happy.

Now I have to find out why the spam filter is not functioning!

Right now I'd sooner have a user manual than last weeks winning euromillions ticket!

Thanks for the help, I'll get there soon.