SMTP connection problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by pooyanc64, Mar 13, 2007.

1. pooyanc64

pooyanc64 New Member

Hello everyone.

I've installed ISPConfig in conjunction with the Ubuntu 6.10 Server Perfect Setup. I have a problem connecting to the SMTP server from home though which is a Cable connection. Last week before switching to Linux I was using Mercury Mail and had the same problem. I found out that my cable IP address was blacklisted through the popular spam databases. Using Mercury I was easly able to add my IP to the whitelist and away I went. Of course part of my problem is Im new to Linux. So my question is: Is there a white list enabled for Postfix that I can add IP addresses as needed?

Thanks
    Ken

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If your IP is blacklisted, you can not whitelist it by adding something to yo your mailserver, neither in Mercury nor in linux. Blacklisting is a function used in external mailservers.

To get around blacklisting problems, you will have to add a mailserver from your provider as mailrelay.

3. pooyanc64

pooyanc64 New Member

I guess I should have been more specific. The connection that the linux box is running on is a static address not through cable or DSL. It is a part of a class C. The client (my home connection) is the blacklisted IP address. Mercury indeed does have the ability to "whitelist" addresses. Under SMTP Server - Connection Control you can override IP's found to be blacklisted through (for example) spamhaus. My issue still stands as I cannot connect to the SMTP service (POP works fine) the Firewall SMTP port is open and the ISP is not blocking the SMTP service out of its own network.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What are the outputs of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    and
    Code:
    iptables -L
    ?