SMTP Error (220): Authentication failed.

Discussion in 'General' started by Siridion M. Cabudlan, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi, I need help,
    Our email server was running for more than 2 years.
    But this day, I got the error “SMTP Error (220): Authentication failed.”, when I send email to any recipient.

Postfix Log
    HTML:
    Jun 01 08:57:34 mail.x.x.x postfix/submission/smtpd[5142]: connect from mail.x.x.x[172.16.3.11]
    Jun 01 08:57:34 mail.x.x.x postfix/submission/smtpd[5142]: SSL_accept error from mail.x.x.x[172.16.3.11]: 0
    Jun 01 08:57:34 mail.x.x.x postfix/submission/smtpd[5142]: warning: TLS library problem: error:14094415:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert certificate expired:s3_pkt.c:1487:SSL alert number 45:
    Jun 01 08:57:34 mail.x.x.x postfix/submission/smtpd[5142]: lost connection after STARTTLS from mail.x.x.x[172.16.3.11]
    Jun 01 08:57:34 mail.x.x.x postfix/submission/smtpd[5142]: disconnect from mail.x.x.x[172.16.3.11] ehlo=1 starttls=0/1 commands=1/2

Please help to solve this problem.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Log does say
    Code:
    alert certificate expired
    Have you checked that?
    Where did you see
    Code:
    SMTP Error (220): Authentication failed.

Siridion M. Cabudlan likes this.
  3. Hi Taleman,
    I got " SMTP Error (220): Authentication failed. " error message on roundcube webmail. When I click the send button.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you checked the ssl cert of the mail server? The log says that the SSL cert is expired, @Taleman mentioned that already. You will have to renew the mail servers SSL cert or if it's a let's encrypt SSL cert, then check why it did not renew automatically. In case you use a comodo SSL cert, then also check the CA certs as a comodo CA cert expired this weekend.

5. Hi till,

Thank you for the reply.
    Our server used Comodo SSL cert, and I already replace the SSL certificate since Feb. 26, 2020.
    And only this day, that our server encountered this error.
    Maybe I need to purchase support at schaal-it.com, since our top management requires immediate solution to this problem.

Thank you till.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check that you changed the CA ssl cert of the mail system too and not just the SSL cert itself. It's the CA cert that expired last weekend, not the SSL cert of your domain, so the issue is most likely that your system still uses an old CA cert in dovecot and / or postfix.

7. The problem was resolve on the next day, it was fixed after the execution of ISPConfig Cron Jobs.
    Thank you so much @Taleman and @till for your assistance.