SMTPS issue on new ISPconfig installation on Debian 12 Bookworm

Discussion in 'General' started by terrywongkl, Aug 31, 2023.

1. terrywongkl

terrywongkl New Member

Not 100% sure if my installation went wrong or not. Everythings went well during installation (using perfect-server-debian-12-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-2) except Postfix is not listening to port 465 SMTPS, but port 587 Submission is ok.
    it was only realised after numerous tries from IMAP email client like Outlook or Thunderbird, upon checking on /etc/postfix/master.cf.
    the entire smtps part is missing from master.cf. So i tried to copy and paste this part from the other server (ISPConfig3.2/Debian 11),
    smtps inet n - y - - smtpd
    -o syslog_name=postfix/smtps
    -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
    -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
    -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject​
    and restart postfix service then it starts to work. so is this the problem from Postfix package from Debian 12 repo or the config generated by ISPConfig?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Debian 12 does not has a smtps section in master.cf anymore. It has been renamed from smtps to submissions (with s) and that's why the section does not get uncommented automatically by the auto-installer at the moment. But you can find the steps in the manual perfect server guide: https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-12-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-2/ and we will adjust the auto-installer so it uncomments the new submissions section as well.

3. HSorgYves

HSorgYves Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

There is a merge request for the Autoinstaller. I asked @till to not yet look at all my merge requests, but maybe he can merge this one already...

4. terrywongkl

terrywongkl New Member

thanks for clarification. found another small problem in master.cf, pickup unix socket is not uncommented, hence local Mail-daemon or root email will stuck in mail queue and won't deliver. found it when user configure Out of Office auto-reply, mail stuck in queue.

5. HSorgYves

In my master.cf on Debian 12 pickup unix socket is uncommented.

6. terrywongkl

terrywongkl New Member

my new installation is Debian 12.1, and using auto-installer

7. HSorgYves

You are talking about this line
    pickup unix n - y 60 1 pickup
    isn't it?

8. terrywongkl

terrywongkl New Member

yes

9. terrywongkl

terrywongkl New Member

not sure if only happen to my installation. postfix logging now is without mail.err, mail.info & mail.warn. not big deal but ispconfig web GUI got warn & error log which rely on these files. so i added to rsyslog config manually.

10. till

The pickup service is uncommented on my system as well, installed with the auto-installer and I used as basis the standard install from debian install media as documented in Debian minimal server guide. So it might be that pickup was just disabled on your system by the person that build your base install image.

Checked my system and it's the same here. For me the question is, shall we modify the ISPConfig code to read from mail.log and show this as mail.info and hide mail.warn if mail.info and mail.warn are not there, or shall we enable these two logs in rsyslog?

11. webmaster-eddie

webmaster-eddie New Member

I installed manually 3 days ago (June 25 2024) following the "perfect server" guide for bookworm, apache2, mariadb, postfix, dovecot, and there is neither a /var/log/mail.err nor a /var/log/mail.warn file. Have you decided what to do? Should I create those two files and give them 0|4 ownership and 664 permissions? Or is that not useful? Thanks for updating this thread with best practice steps to take. If the workaround is in modifying rspamd, could you list the steps to take, please? Thanks.

12. till

That's not useful.

These are not Rspamd log files. They are the mail system log files used by postfix and Dovecot.

The reason for your issue is most likely that your base system did not had rsyslog installed, Install the rsyslog package and restart the server.

13. till