SNI for imap and smtp

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by atle, Oct 19, 2020.

1. atle

atle Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is it possible to enable SNI for imap and smtp, and if not, are there any plans to implement support for it. There have been some threads about it, but the status is a bit unclear for me.

Kind regards
    Lennart

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is a feature request to support it through ISPConfig, but no one that has taken it on yet. You can give it a thumbs up so other devs know that there is (high) demand :)

https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/3794

You can ofcourse set it up yourself, it is just not integrated with ISPConfig.

3. atle

Thanks Thom, I have given it my thumbs up. Meanwhile I will have a look at the Schaals automail module. autoconfig. and autodiscover is a kind of work-around. I configured it for Direcadmin, but never got it to work with Outlook, but Schaal seem to have a different approach, so I will have a look at it.

4. Th0m

I prefer to use one hostname (smtp.companyname.com and imap.companyname.com) for my clients instead of smtp.clientname.com and imap.clientname.com for every client. Just my preference :)

I use automail from Schaal-IT, it works great except for Outlook 2019. The way of discovering has been changed in Outlook 2019 and I believe it is a lot of work to change the plugin to support outlook 2019, so not sure if we will ever see support for that.

5. atle

Yes, I can agree with you, but our problem is that our customers, they dont want to read any instructions. They expect everything to work out of the box, and that in particular when it comes to mobile phones. E-mail clients on mobile phone all try to automate the procedure to add accounts and thet use different methods, some use autoconfig, some autodiscover (well, no), but most of them do trial and error, and they catch mail.clientname.com, but after that the email client complains about the cert. And, out customer turns to our support, and also asking why it works so nicely for their friend that is using O365, but so tediously with our e-mail system. We loose customers over this, and it also drive our costs for support. Hence, SNI for imap and smtp is something I really would like to have :)

Kind regards
    Lennart

6. Th0m

I understand. I don't add a mail. or subdomain like that to my client domains, and have clear instructions on how to setup the email accounts. But 9 out of 10 times autoconfig does it's job.