[solved] Apache reverse proxy is not working

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by azuritetechs, Sep 5, 2023.

1. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Hello,
    First of all thank you for your help and attention.

The reverse proxy is not working. In the Options tabs of the site I put this Apache directive:
    Code:
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyPass / http://192.168.1.11:8096/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.1.11:8096/
    <Location />
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
    </Location>
    Then when I try to pen the URL using the domain, I need to put the port at the end always.

Maybe I have some bad configuration in ISPConfig? I checked the Apache directive several times and as far I know is right.

I attached the HTF report because I exedeed the maximum amount of characters.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please check if you have a file with .err file ending for this website in the apache sites-available folder.

3. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Hello till,
    Thank you for your quick reply. Inside the folder "/etc/apache2/sites-available", for the example that I shown in my first message I have not a file called subdomain.domain.es.vhost.err only a file called subdomain.domain.es.vhost. Other sites with the reverse proxy directive added has a .err file and the reverse proxy does not works.

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  4. till

If a file gets added with a .err extension, then Apache rejected it and could not start. Maybe the proxy module is not enabled in Apache globally? You can try to rename the file from vhost.err to .vhost and restart apache to see the error message that it throws then.

5. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Sorry Tlil I do a mistake in my previous message. For the example that I shown in my first message I HAVE NOT a file called subdomain.domain.es.vhost.err only a file called subdomain.domain.es.vhost.

I have 13 sites with the reverse proxy directive and only one has the .err file, but does not works. I renamed the .err dile of the only site that has one to subdomain.domain.es.vhost.err_old and restarted Apache with the command "systemctl restart apache2". This is the current status of Apache, does not show errors or created a new .err file for this specific site:
    Code:
    apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.d
               └─apache2-systemd.conf
       Active: active (running) since Tue 2023-09-05 19:34:33 UTC; 10s ago
      Process: 2368 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/apachectl stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Process: 25537 ExecReload=/usr/sbin/apachectl graceful (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Process: 2380 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
     Main PID: 18040 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        Tasks: 11 (limit: 4915)
       CGroup: /system.slice/apache2.service
               ├─2412 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2413 vlogger (access log)
               ├─2414 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2417 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2418 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2419 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2421 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2423 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
               ├─2424 /usr/bin/php-cgi -d disable_classes= -d disable_functions= -d magic_quotes_gpc=off -d open_basedir= -d session.save_path=/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/temp
               ├─2427 /usr/bin/php-cgi -d disable_classes= -d disable_functions= -d magic_quotes_gpc=off -d open_basedir= -d session.save_path=/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/temp
               └─2428 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

sep 05 19:34:33 server1.azuritetechs.com systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
    sep 05 19:34:33 server1.azuritetechs.com apachectl[2380]: AH00548: NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.vhost:7
    sep 05 19:34:33 server1.azuritetechs.com systemd[1]: Started The Apache HTTP Server.

In the site options, I need to enable specific options besides add the apache directive?

I used the command "apachectl -M" to list the apache enabled modules and I got this list:
    Code:
    Loaded Modules:
     core_module (static)
     so_module (static)
     watchdog_module (static)
     http_module (static)
     log_config_module (static)
     logio_module (static)
     version_module (static)
     unixd_module (static)
     access_compat_module (shared)
     actions_module (shared)
     alias_module (shared)
     auth_basic_module (shared)
     auth_digest_module (shared)
     authn_core_module (shared)
     authn_file_module (shared)
     authz_core_module (shared)
     authz_host_module (shared)
     authz_user_module (shared)
     autoindex_module (shared)
     cgi_module (shared)
     dav_module (shared)
     dav_fs_module (shared)
     deflate_module (shared)
     dir_module (shared)
     env_module (shared)
     fcgid_module (shared)
     filter_module (shared)
     headers_module (shared)
     include_module (shared)
     mime_module (shared)
     mpm_prefork_module (shared)
     negotiation_module (shared)
     php7_module (shared)
     proxy_module (shared)
     proxy_fcgi_module (shared)
     python_module (shared)
     reqtimeout_module (shared)
     rewrite_module (shared)
     setenvif_module (shared)
     socache_shmcb_module (shared)
     ssl_module (shared)
     status_module (shared)
     suexec_module (shared)
    Thank you

6. till

OK, so there might have been a temporary error then which has been resolved in the meantime.

For the site where the proxy is not working, take a look into the host file generated by ISPConfig, is the code you added to the apache directives field in there?

7. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Hello till,
    Thank you for your quick reply. Both files (.err and .vhost) has the apache directives that I put in options section in the site in ISPConfig. I attach the files.

Thank you

Attached Files:

8. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Hello till, any suggestion?
    Thank you,
    Pau

9. till

You seem to have a problem with ssl as it seems, as the .err vhost doe snot contain the SSL section.

10. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Ok thank you! How I can fix this problem with the SSL?

11. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

12. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Ok, let me check it. Both vhost files that I shared are from the same site. Yes I am using Let’s Encrypt with some sites. Thank you.

13. azuritetechs

azuritetechs Member

Fixed, the proxy_http moduel was not enabled for some reason and also I have to set the redirect type to "proxy".

till likes this.