[SOLVED] How Do I Create an Email Account?

Discussion in 'General' started by wbtech, Jun 15, 2021.

1. wbtech

wbtech New Member

Slightly embarrassed to ask but how do I create an email account?
    Following the manual: "go to Email > Email Accounts > Domain and click on the Add new Domain button. Fill in the domain name... "
    The domain name field is a dropdown / search box. I don't appear to be able to type a new domain in there. I've looked around to see if I can create the domain first (so it becomes available in the dropdown), but I couldn't find it.
    Screenshot from 2021-06-15 16-42-37.png
    The Sites > Websites > Website > Add new website form has a similar dropdown for the domain. Confused.:(
    ISPConfig 3.2.5 on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS in Firefox 89.0 on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Likely you are doing this adding e-mail domain as ordinary client, not ISPConfig admin. If you can not get admin account, there is setting that allows creating domains, at least when creating websites. (it is in System | Main Config | Domains, "Use the domain limits in client module to add new domains".)
    Your question and your topic is about creating e-mail account, that is email mailbox in ISPConfig panel left column in E-mail tab. But reading the complete post, looks like your are trying to create e-mail domain.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  3. wbtech

wbtech New Member

Brill, that did it. I just unticked the box and was then able to create an Email Domain, and from there I was able to add an Email Mailbox to the domain. (It's the first mailbox on the domain.) Apologies for the confusion re mailbox / domain, I was just following the manual! :)
    I was logged in as admin. I wonder if the migrate tool might have set that permission. Solved. Thank-you.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to use domain limits (which is definitely a good idea if you have clients using your server which you do not trust), you can leave that enabled, then add domains to each client as needed under Client > Domains, then the assigned domains will appear in the select list.

5. wbtech

wbtech New Member

Ah, that makes sense too. Thanks.