[SOLVED] How to stop lots of http requests to the same folder from different IPs with fail2ban

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by razor7, Jun 29, 2016.

1. razor7

razor7 Member

Hi, a few days ago I noticed my internet conenction very slow and my home server with ISPConfig pretty loaded, so I started to check the logs and review the /server-status apache page and realized that I was under some kind of DDoS attack. I realized that because in the logs of a client site (other_vhosts_access.log) I had lots of entries pointing to a joomla! installation trying to access the joomla! home dir and the /administrator folder (here is where you access admin backend in joomla!).

Is there a way to stop this using fail2ban? I'm a bit confused if fail2ban will work because the attack seems to be originated from several different IPs.

Thanks in advise!

Environment:

• Fail2Ban version: 0.9.3-1
    • ISPConfig: 3.1b1

Relevant lines from log file (excerpt):

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use the apache module mod_evasive for that.

3. razor7

razor7 Member

Hi @till ! Thanks for the suggestion, but I thought that it would be better to use fail2ban because is promoted and enforced in the perfect server tutorials.

Any hints to use fail2ban to repeal this attack?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Fail2ban is not an anti ddos tool while mod_evasive is a anti ddos module for apache, so you compare apples with pies here.

5. razor7

razor7 Member

Ok, will look into it! thanks!

6. gexacor

gexacor New Member

You can try use fail2ban of course but I'm using it to protect my SSH access for the most of the time.
    I can suggest you to create a .htaccess and block that directory from outside for now

Other than that you can use Apache mod_evasive

7. razor7

razor7 Member

Thanks switched to mod_evasive!