[SOLVED] Migrate master to new hardware but different OS

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by spazio, Mar 31, 2022.

1. spazio

spazio Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I had a multiserver setup where the master was getting a bit old. So I build a new server but with a different OS, let's encrypt api etc. And I used the migration tool to do the operation.
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...-confixx-plesk-to-ispconfig-31-single-server/

I should have readed the doc and post with more attention like this post:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/best-way-tools-to-migrate-master-to-new-hardware.88092
    Where it's recommended to use ispcopy but I used migrate...
    Now, after the migration, that work really well. The new master has what was on it but not the slaves configs ( I have 2 slave). And they can't connect to the master.

I cannot use ispcopy now because I didn't realised it right away and configs have change on the new master to ajust non working dns, web site etc.
    Is this can be fix Or I'm stuck??
    Thanks for any comments.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would set up 2 new slaveservers attached to the existing master and migrate the "old" slave servers to the new one.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Also note that ispcopy would not have worked for you, as the source and destination servers must be the same os version.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's the reason why the Migration Tool can not be used for that, it imports data into a new server and it does that just for the local system. If you use it to migrate a master, then the connection to slave systems is lost and can not be re-established.

The best option now is to also install up new slave servers and connect them to the new master at install time and then migrate the old slave servers to the new multiserver system using Migration Tool by running the tool on the old slave systems, select the new master server as target, the tool will then let you select on which of the new slave nodes the data shall end up.

5. spazio

spazio Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for all replies...
    It's not waht I wanted to ear but at least I have a route now!