[solved]please explain open_base for me

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Appie Thrasher, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi All,
    I know one very basic question...
    I understand that open_base is for what directories php has acces to. I need ffmpeg for my site so I nstalled it and put it in PHP open_basedir as
    Code:
    :/usr/bin/ffmpeg
    all is working fine now.
    But my question is: Have I given acces to the whole directory this way or indeed just to the ffmpeg?
    Hope I make sense..

Thanks

Appie

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most likely you don't have to add ffmpeg to open_basedir as this is a program and not a path where you want to write / read. Did you try to use it before without adding it to open_basedir?

3. Appie Thrasher

Till, to behonest I did not try it, but in the program itself (EasySocial) it gives the path to ffmpeg as not correct before I put it in open_basedir.
    after adding it al warnings are gone..

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most likely the program tried to check the path with is_executable or file_exists function (which are both limited by open_basedir) while the exec function which is most likely used to executed is not limited by open_basedir which means it should have worked without adding it to the open_basedir path. But it is ok the way you added it.

5. Appie Thrasher

Thanks again I am glad I did not open up the whole directorie... And I am going to try if it works without putting it in open_basedir...
    This one is solved..

Thanks Till