SOLVED : Roundcube ISPconfig switch IMAP accounts

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by kameleon1er, Feb 12, 2024.

1. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

VPS - Debian Buster _ IspConfig 3.2
    I have several e-mail accounts configured with ispManger/roundcube IMAP and a mail client on my local computer.
    I'd like to be able to switch between my different webmail accounts without having to disconnect and reconnect each time. I've found this plugin for roundcube which claims to enable me to do this "https://github.com/fischerscode/Roundcube-ident_switch". Can I install it as is or are there any modifications to be taken into account for correct operation with ispConfig?

I followed this "https://www.howtoforge.com/install-ispconfig-3-roundcube-plugins-on-debian-10/" but I see in the list of installed plugins that they are named with "ispconfig3...". is this important?

And it also seems to work with "php composer.phar require boressoft/ident_switch:~3.0".

Thanks a lot.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What is ispManger? :)

I think it would be better to use container tabs in your browser.

kameleon1er likes this.
  3. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

@Th0m Under the hood, eagle eyes :oops: just another taste, a new exploration, but I'm keeping ispConfig :)

So I try to upgrade my roundcube from 1.3 to 1.6 and I see 2 locations "/etc/roundcube" and "usr/share/roundcube" for files.

If I understand correctly "/usr/share/roundcube" are the specific files to link roundcube to the ispConfig panel?

So if I want to upgrade, I have to replace /etc/roundcube without replacing "config.inc.php"? Correct ?

Thanks

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

/etc/roundcube is the config. /usr/share/roundcube is data. /var/lib/roundcube holds the web files.

But we were talking about switching between accounts, not upgrading Roundcube. These are 2 separate things. How you need to upgrade depends on wether it was installed through apt or manually, and if it was done manually, there are many different approaches so it's hard to say what to do.

Check if it's installed through apt first and report back:
    Code:
    apt list apache

5. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

Hi @Th0m , what a nightmare !!! One compete night to fight with this f#**kcube.
    Code:
    roundcube-core/oldoldstable,oldoldstable,now 1.3.17+dfsg.1-1~deb10u5 all [installed]
    roundcube-mysql/oldoldstable,oldoldstable,now 1.3.17+dfsg.1-1~deb10u5 all [installed]
    roundcube-pgsql/oldoldstable,oldoldstable 1.3.17+dfsg.1-1~deb10u5 all
    roundcube-plugins-extra/oldoldstable 1.3.8-20190219 all
    roundcube-plugins/oldoldstable,oldoldstable,now 1.3.17+dfsg.1-1~deb10u5 all [installed]
    roundcube-sqlite3/oldoldstable,oldoldstable 1.3.17+dfsg.1-1~deb10u5 all
    roundcube/oldoldstable,oldoldstable,now 1.3.17+dfsg.1-1~deb10u5 all [installed]
    what interested me was switching completely to webmail and being able to switch between my different imap accounts without having to connect to each of them. The identity change is nice, but it's not the most useful thing for me.

In short, I broke everything, as I'm still with Buster, I ended up saying to myself that maybe I couldn't put in 1.6, with the help of ChatGpt, Gemini and God, I ended up purging everything and reinstalling with the links for ispConfig. So I haven't moved on, still in 1.3 but it's working again.

What a pain! Linuxians, you're a bit crazy and sadistic I think.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want a custom RoundCube version or an other webmail client written in PHP? Then, you can just create a regular website in ISPConfig and then install that webmail client from the source directly into the web folder of that website. You do not have to deal with the way how Debian sets this up at all. And you can keep it updated then by yourself and do not have to wait that a debian package gets released with the version you like to use.

7. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

Hi, there,
    I finally figured it out, but it took me several hours already to understand "/etc/roundcube is the config. /usr/share/roundcube is data. /var/lib/roundcube holds the web files. "despite all the tutorials and forums.

It's probably explained in the official ispConfig guide, I bought it but can't find it.

But it's back in order. Thanks to both of you. ::::: SOLVED ::::::

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not related to ISPConfig, so it is not covered in the manual. The RoundCube package is a Debian package, it comes from Debian and not from ISPConfig. ISPConfig has nothing to do with where and how the Debian RoundCube package stores its config files and data.