[Solved] Single- to Multi- server setup ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Patrik Forsberg, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Patrik Forsberg

Patrik Forsberg New Member

Is there a way to join an already installed ISPConfig to an existing, or new, multiserver setup ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An existing single server can not be added to a multiserver system because each ispconfig server (if not part of a multiserver from the beginning) creates its unique ID's for websites, mailboxes etc. and they would collide later if you would try to join them.

There are basically two alternatives:

1) You use the Migration Tool to import the existing server into the multiserver setup, but this requires a new server as target for the 'data' of the server that you import and the 'old' server has to be decommissioned or reused later after importing the data into the new server that's in the multiserver setup is finished.

2) If you start a new multiserver setup, you could use this 'old' server as the master and just add new nodes to it, as any standalone system can act as master (controlpenale server + other services) for a new multiserver setup.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Patrik Forsberg

Thanks for your reply!

Bummer.. I was hoping to use your very very nice install script to install the next server in my new multiserver setup .. oh well guess it's back to the manual method again :/

4. till

There is a misunderstanding here, there is no difference in what I said regarding automatic or manual installation, you can not add an existing node with data to a multiserver setup, no matter how you installed that multiserver system. You can use the autoinstall script to add an additional node when using the existing system as master though.

5. Patrik Forsberg

Really ?
    I find no option for it in https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/ 6. Advanced Options .. and from reading various other texts, including the manual, I have to run the install script to add a server to a "master" which means I need to download and install ispconfig from that.. meaning manual install ?

6. till

Patrik Forsberg likes this.
  7. Patrik Forsberg