[Solved] Subdomain and joomla cms

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by anark10n, May 14, 2020.

1. anark10n

anark10n Member

Hey there
    So i'm having issues with setting up a subdomain with a Joomla CMS. All the files have been uploaded and configured properly, the database has been created, and the subdomain is reachable, and PHP is set to Fast-CGI in the control panel; but every time i go to the url, i just get the default ISPConfig welcome message. Is there something else i need to set for it to work?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did you delete index.html file?

3. anark10n

anark10n Member

There was an index.html file to delete since i created the subdomain redirect path manually. If i replace the index.html in the /web folder, it displays that new index.html, so it appears there's an issue with redirect path; i've tried http://domain.tld/subdomain, /subdomain/, and even /web/subdomain/ to see if i get error, and still get the same result.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is Joomla installed in the web folder or is it installed in that subdomain folder?

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

How did you create the subdomain?

6. anark10n

anark10n Member

In the subdomain folder.

Sites -> Subdomain for website -> Add new subdomain

7. till

In this case, you should either create a new website for that subdomain or use the vhost subdomain function. The normal subdomain function you use is not intended to be used for the installation of a cms system in a sub directory.

ahrasis likes this.
  8. anark10n

anark10n Member

Okay them, thanks for that. Is this something new that was introduced, because i remember installing wordpress to a subdomain that i created the same way?

9. till

No, nothing has changed. WordPress is a multi-domain capable cms, so for Wordpress, you would install Wordpress into the website root and not a subdirectory and then create a subdomain in ISPConfig without settings any redirects. Wordpress (MU) is then able to route the traffic internally. There are other CMS too like Typo 3 that internally rewrite multiple domains or subdomains in a single CMS install and for these you use the subdomain or alias domain feature.

ahrasis likes this.
  10. anark10n

anark10n Member

Ah, i see, i did not know about those differences between wordpress and joomla, the explanation is much appreciated. and the vhost subdomain solved the web access issue, so thanks again.

ahrasis likes this.
  11. eladya

eladya New Member

Thanks!