[SOLVED] Ubuntu 22.04 breaks ispconfig_update.sh --force with mysql password error

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by KoS, Nov 30, 2022.

1. KoS

KoS Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have had an up-to-date 3.2.9 installation (master/slave) with Ubuntu 20.04.
    1) I updated the master server to Ubuntu 22.04 and run ispconfig_update.sh --force -> everything went fine
    2) I updated a slave server (DNS server) to Ubuntu 22.04. So far so good.
    3) I run ispconfig_update.sh --force and end up with the errors below. I have tested with the same credentials a manual mysql connection from that host and it works just fine.
    In addition to that, I can see in /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log the following warning:
    I thought maybe some issue with the installed PHP version, but couldn't see any issue with the php packages:
    Code:
    dpkg -l "php*" |grep ii
    ii  php-bz2            2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          bzip2 module for PHP [default]
    ii  php-cli            2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language (default)
    ii  php-common         2:92ubuntu1      all          Common files for PHP packages
    ii  php-curl           2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          CURL module for PHP [default]
    ii  php-mbstring       2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          MBSTRING module for PHP [default]
    ii  php-mysql          2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          MySQL module for PHP [default]
    ii  php-soap           2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          SOAP module for PHP [default]
    ii  php-xml            2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          DOM, SimpleXML, WDDX, XML, and XSL module for PHP [default]
    ii  php-zip            2:8.1+92ubuntu1  all          Zip module for PHP [default]
    ii  php8.1-bz2         8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        bzip2 module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-cli         8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language
    ii  php8.1-common      8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        documentation, examples and common module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-curl        8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        CURL module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-mbstring    8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        MBSTRING module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-mysql       8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        MySQL module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-opcache     8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        Zend OpCache module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-readline    8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        readline module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-soap        8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        SOAP module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-xml         8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        DOM, SimpleXML, XML, and XSL module for PHP
    ii  php8.1-zip         8.1.2-1ubuntu2.9 amd64        Zip module for PHP

How can I debug the problem? Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The MySQL root password for the local (localhost) MySQL server in the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf file is wrong on the slave server. Set the correct password there and then run the update again.

3. KoS

Thanks @till The password in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf matches the mysql root password of the local host. I've tested it by using mysql dbispconfig -u root -h localhost -p on the local host (and the password is the same as in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf) ... and why/how should have that password been changed as I never touched it :-(

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

So all is working now?
    Did you check the file and password on the slave server, too?

5. KoS

The state is stil the same -> the slave server works fine, but i wanted to re-run ispconfig_update.sh --force after the upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 and there it get the above errors.
    when running ispconfig_update.sh --force I enter the master sql server root password (as I always did on any run of ispconfig_update.sh when upgrading ISPconfig).

6. till

You mix up passwords of two different servers here. The tool asks for the MySQL root password of the master, not the one of the slave, but the one of the slave fails that is taken from mysql_clientdb.conf file.

Run this command on the slave server as a test:

mysql -h localhost -u root -p

and then copy/paste the password from file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf to the password prompt that the mysql command shows you.

7. KoS

No, I am not mixing it up :)
    I was always only using the sql root password of the master with ispconfig_update.sh
    As written, when I run (on the slave) mysql -h localhost -u root -p and use the password from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf (which is the same as in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf) i can connect successfully to the slaves (local) sql server.
    (and the slave server is successfully getting updates from the master server...)

8. till

9. KoS

1) I have downloaded https://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz and unpacked it in /tmp
    2) I have run php update.php from within the install directory
    3) I got the same error.
    I added some echo statements before L106 to see all the variables. I see that the password that is used for the check is the one I entered for the master sql server and NOT the slave sql password from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf ?!

For testing purposes I changed the hostname (localhostXX) in the mysql_clientdb.conf -> not even the changed hostname gets reflected in check command.
    When I tried to change in addition the username (rootXX) the update.php script fails somewhere earlier in a check:
    Code:
    Shall the script create a ISPConfig backup in /var/backup/ now? (yes,no) [yes]: no
    PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: Access denied for user 'rootXX'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php:258

Looks for me more like a bug as I never did any changes to the ispconfig files.

10. till

When you take a look in update.php file, the variable that is set by "MySQL master server root password" is $conf['mysql']['master_admin_password'], which is the correct variable for remote password, while in update.lib.php the mysqlcheck is using $conf['mysql']['admin_password'] which is the local password. I'll try to see if I'm able to reproduce your issue somehow but it's probably not easy as it did not affect thousands of systems that have been upgraded already, so must be a very rare condition that seem to have only happened on your system until now.

11. till

I've tested it here and debugged the code, everything works fine here. The password from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf is used in the check db health function. The hostname and port are used from file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php, only root password is used from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf

12. till

13. KoS

My fault, it is not using the master sql password, but the correct slave password.

Nevertheless, the issue was/is still there. So I had a look at the mysqlcheck command as the "normal" mysql command works fine with the same username & password and the warning message "WARNING: Forcing protocol to TCP due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol." was suspicious.
    Code:
    mysqlcheck -h localhost -u root -pXXXX -P3306 dbispconfig
    throws the error as seen. But if I do NOT use the port number, so that mysqlcheck uses the socket connection, it works just fine:
    Code:
    mysqlcheck -h localhost -u root -pXXXX dbispconfig
    It seems that the behaviour of the -P option in mysqlcheck has changed with the newer version. man page from mysqlcheck Ubuntu 20.04 (mysqlcheck Ver 2.7.4-MariaDB Distrib 10.3.37-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)):
    Code:
    --port=port_num, -P port_num
               The TCP/IP port number to use for the connection.
    Where in Ubuntu 22.04 (mysqlcheck Ver 2.7.4-MariaDB Distrib 10.6.11-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)):
    Code:
    --port=port_num, -P port_num
               The TCP/IP port number to use for the connection.  Forces --protocol=tcp when specified on the command line without other connection properties
    Weird thing: If I run on an Ubuntu 20.04 ispconfig slave server the mysqlcheck WITH --protocol=tcp it works. And both sql servers are listengin ONLY on 127.0.0.1:3306

As I have no port variable in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf it should be reflected for the mysqlcheck command and not using 3306 by default.
    Btw, when using the mysql command and providing the port number, it doesn't work neither.
    WORKS: mysql -h localhost -u root -p dbispconfig
    DOES NOT WORK: mysql -h localhost -u root -p -P3306 dbispconfig
    (and I assume it is also related on how the permissions for the user are set in mysql).

After removing the port argument on the mysqlcheck command and in update.php on the "Check command line mysql login" mysql command, the update.php works okay, i just the warning due to an undefined array key "ufw":

Code:
    Checking ISPConfig database .. OK
    Starting incremental database update.
    Loading SQL patch file: /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/sql/incremental/upd_dev_collection.sql
    Reconfigure Permissions in master database? (yes,no) [no]:

PHP Warning:  Undefined array key "ufw" in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 366
    PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 366
    Service 'db_server' has been detected (currently disabled) do you want to enable and configure it?  (yes,no) [no]:

Reconfigure Services? (yes,no,selected) [yes]:

Configuring BIND
    Configuring AppArmor
    PHP Warning:  Undefined array key "ufw" in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 522
    PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 522
    Configuring Bastille Firewall
    PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php on line 2558
    PHP Deprecated:  trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php on line 2558
    PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php on line 2558
    PHP Deprecated:  trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php on line 2558
    Configuring Database
    Updating ISPConfig
    Do you want to create SSL certs for your server? (y,n) [y]: n

PHP Deprecated:  explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php
    on line 55
    PHP Warning:  Undefined array key "ufw" in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-available/firewall_plugin.inc.php on line 41
    PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-available/firewall_plugin.inc.php on line 41
    Reconfigure Crontab? (yes,no) [yes]:

Updating Crontab
    Restarting services ...
    PHP Warning:  Undefined array key "ufw" in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 659
    PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /tmp/ispconfig3_install/install/update.php on line 659
    Update finished.
    [\CODE]

14. till

As I mentioned in my previous post, only the password is taken from that file. All other variables, incl port number, are in the config.inc.php.

In regard to PHP warnings, PHP basically changed former notices to a warning level in 8.1, so nothing to worry about. You manually increased the error reporting level, that's why you see them. We will sort them out step by step in the next releases.

15. KoS

Thanks @till
    So that means that in config.inc.php I shall change $conf['db_port'] to '' ?
    As it worked until now and the original setup was made years ago, I don't know when/if the port number was set explicitly.

16. till

I just explained where the port info comes from. In new installs, it is set like this:

$conf['db_port'] = '3306';

Using an empty port is out of spec and will likely not work as it is not optional to set a port there.

17. till

What i find interesting is that I'm not having any issues on Ubuntu 22.04, I've done all the tests and development for 3.2.9 on Ubuntu 22.04 and did many updates without having a problem with mysqlcheck. I get the warning "WARNING: Forcing protocol to TCP due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol." too but its just that warning and not a failure. So it might be in the end that an older upgraded system might have differences in the MariaDB config files which produce the issue.

Th0m likes this.
  18. KoS

I was just digging into the sql permissions and found the problem:
    on the slave server i see
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO `root`@`localhost` IDENTIFIED VIA unix_socket
    Interesting:
    • master server does not have that identified clause
    • slave servers
      • nameserver: this is the server that I did the upgrade and that has the clause
      • mailserver: still on Ubuntu 20.04 -> doesnt have it
      • webserver: still on Ubuntu 20.04 -> HAS it.
    really weird. No idea why the different grants for the root user. Obviously the changed behavior of the mysql/mysqlcheck --port parameter is the cause why it stopped working after the Ubuntu upgrade as now the TCP connection is being used on the localhost too instead of the socket.
    I will fix the permissions of the root user and see if it works.

till likes this.
  19. KoS

Updating the permission to have IDENTIFIED VIA unix_socket removed fixes the problem.
    Thanks for your help @till

till likes this.
  20. KoS

I will upgrade the other two slave servers to Ubuntu 22.04 and see if I run into any other issues :)

Th0m likes this.