[Solved] Unable to receive mail after server IP blacklisted by Spamhaus PBL

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by anark10n, Nov 3, 2021.

1. anark10n

anark10n Member

Didn't quite know where else to ask this on this forum, so if it's inappropriate for this subforum, I apologize.
    So, my IP was blacklisted in by Spamhaus PBL recently because of something my server's ISP did (server is a VPS), and I've had to contact my vendor to contact said ISP, but now they've opened up a request for removal directly with Spamhaus to open a ticket on my behalf and Spamhaus was supposed to send an email with the verification link. Problem Is, my server has been unable to send or receive mail since the blacklist. Sending from a Yahoo account just reports "554: 5.7.1 Service unavailable" even though I can receive messages from Gmail. All of my services are running with no error in my logs apart from the bounce-backs due to my blacklisting. What else should I check as to why I'm unable to receive my mail from other sources?

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Don't you have your own dedicated IP for the VPS? I would strongly recommend that, especially for a mailserver. And if you have one, what did your ISP do to get it blocked?

Is the problem only with Yahoo, or also other mailservers?

What is your hostname, so we can test?

3. anark10n

anark10n Member

Yes it is a dedicated IP for my VPS. According to the Spamhaus bullet points, it's part of best practises for ISPs to do this to broadband and dial-up customers. I have no idea what the ISP did, as I operate in a different country to the ISP so resorted to requesting my vendor to contact them on my behalf, but that hasn't done much.
    Get this error when sending from Zoho
    Code:
    ERROR CODE :554 - 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [136.143.188.94] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org; Error: open resolver; https://www.spamhaus.org/returnc/pub/66.185.122.244

I'm able to receive messages from yandex mail.
    opensrvr01.openitmation.com

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your server is blocking mail via zen.spamhas.org lookup results, and is using an open/shared dns resolver (66.185.122.244 is one of your dns servers?); you can disable that rbl in your mta, or use a different dns server (with few exceptions, mail servers should run a caching dns resolver and use localhost for the dns server), or click the link you forwarded for how to setup their service while still using an open/shared resolver.

5. anark10n

anark10n Member

The cause of it was because I was running a name service on my server. I had to disable the service and close the port, then I could receive mail from Spamhaus to actually resolve the case of my blacklisting, and it worked.

Jean-Francois Leblanc likes this.
  6. I turned off BIND, wasn't using it. Fixed my issue as well, sorry for the old post reply.