[solved] Webinterface shows no controls after upgrade to 3.2.8p1

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Gerd, May 19, 2022.

1. Gerd

Gerd New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Forum!

After i upgraded ISPConfig to 3.2.8p1, my webinterface doesn't show any controls. The login-page looks normal and can login normally.
    But after logging in, i can only see the header with logo, search bar and logout button (which works), then the footer with an horizontal rule and then the "powered by ispconfig" link.

Directly after running the update, everything worked well (perhaps because of some browser cache?), but after returning the next day i found the described problem.
    All Services (Mail, Websites) are working ok.

The apache error.log file does not show any entries.

Here are some information about my system
    current Debian Buster with https://packages.sury.org/php in apt-sources.list, apache,

This is the output of the htf-common-issues.php script does not help me, but to be complete, i attach it as a file, because it is pretty long...
    I would be very happy if someone could give me a hint how to debug further....
    Yours,
    Gerd

Attached Files:

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Have you cleared your browser cache or tried a new browser?

3. Gerd

Yes, i already tried that without success. Strange thing: If i enter a search string into the the searchbar, results are shown as i type.
    If i click on a result, the UI shows up, but is unusable with an ajax-like waiting animation.
    I also tried another ispconfig update with the --force option. The update runs as usual, but the problem persists.

The only log entries i find at all are these in apaches access.log, and they look quite normal.
    Yours Gerd

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. Jesse Norell

Any errors showing in your browser error console?

5. Gerd

No, nothing. Neither in FF nor in chromium.

6. Jesse Norell

I would probably try forcing reinstallation and reconfigure services (ispconfig_update.sh --force) and hope that fixes things.

If not, see what 'grep module /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.*' returns. Also, what is the actual html of the page returned to you? What is in the dbispconfig database for 'select username, modules from sys_user;'? (or at least, does that look sane, with comma-separated modules listed)

You might edit /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/capp.php and dump out $_SESSION and see if there are any clues.

Also note from your report:
    Code:
    [WARN] You have both certbot and acme.sh installed. This can lead to problems.
    Certbot: /usr/bin/certbot
    acme.sh: /root/.acme.sh/acme.sh

7. Gerd

Hi Jesse, thanks for your hints!
    • "ispconfig_update.sh --force" did run normally but did not solve the problem.
    • "grep module /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.*" returns
    Code:
    $conf['modules_available'] = 'dashboard,admin,mail,sites,monitor,client,dns,help';
    $conf['interface_modules_enabled'] = 'dashboard,mail,sites,dns,tools,help';
    • 'select username, modules from sys_user;' returns "tools,dns,client,admin,mail,sites,help,dashboard,monitor" . I have promoted an other user to admin and have tried to reduce the list of modules for that new admin user -> same error.
    • I do not fully understand what is meant by "dump out $_SESSION" in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/capp.php. Do you mean commenting out
      Code:
      if ($_SESSION["s"]["user"]['active'] != 1) {
              die("URL_REDIRECT: /index.php");
              //die();
      }

Thanks for any further help, Gerd

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  8. Gerd

The Update that broke my system was from 3.2.7p1 to 3.2.8p1.
    What would happen if i roll back to 3.2.7p1 by replacing all files in /usr/local/ispconfig/ with files from my backups?
    Do i also have to replace the contents of the dbispconfig database?
    Gerd

9. Jesse Norell

The sql changes between 3.2.7p1 and 3.2.8p1 are just the upd_0096.sql file; the new table won't hurt anything if you roll back, and I think the additional rendered_zone column will be fine too, so should be fine to roll back the code (and reconfigure services afterwards).

10. Gerd

Hi Jesse, hi forum,
    I downgraded to 3.2.7p1 and the WebUI works again as expected. :)

After that, I cloned my server to a test-machine and tried to run the update multiple times, with reverting to the "before" snapshot each time:
    No matter if i update with or without "reconfigure services" the UI gets broken.
    No matter if i use the updated database or the old one. The error is clearly dependent to the files in /usr/local/ispconfig/.
    Another finding: After an upgrade, i can use the whole webinterface, all content is shown as long until i hit the force reload button in my browser or close the browser.
    The issue is not solved, but no time pressure for me any more.
    Thanks for the help...
    Gerd

11. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check your browser console for errors, what do you see?

12. Gerd

Hi Thom,
    in the moment i log in i get the following error in the browser console:
    Code:
    LoginManagerPrompter: _getShortDisplayHost couldn't process https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

The error does not show up again on reload (so i overlooked it when i wrote that there are no errors earlier)

13. Th0m

Did you try running the update again?

14. Gerd

Yes, i did try to run the Update again. With and without the --force Option, no difference.
    Yours, Gerd

15. Th0m

What is the output of the update?

16. Gerd

The output looks quite normal, only warnings are related to mailman. I have attached the full output as a file.
    Yours,Gerd

Attached Files:

17. Gerd

Hurra !!!
    Half a year later i made a new attempt to solve the problem and found the solution. I feel a bit silly now:
    Long before time had a name, i changed something in the folder /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/themes and forgot about it.
    The new update did not match the theme folder and that broke the web-gui.
    I fixed it by first running the update, then downloading the installer package and taking the folder "themes" from the installer.
    Yours, Gerd

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    till likes this.